Permit

Will has a learner's permit!  He turned 15 March 14th, on a weekend, and the world closed down the following week.  We were going to sign him up for a class but registered him for a 30 hour online class instead.  I thought it was 80 hours but was misinformed, apparently.  It took him three months to finish!  He started when school was still in session and school was a 9-5 day so he fit in the driving class on weekends and then an hour here or there until school got out at the end of May and then he finally finished it.  Of course everything was closed down all that time anyway.  I spent almost an hour and a half on hold trying to get an appointment scheduled for him to get the permit and finally got a date for three weeks later.  I am glad we made the appointment though because when we showed up, they were turning all kinds of people away for walk-ins.  We waited for about ten minutes outside and then they brought us in, took our temperatures, and we went right up to the desk.  He took his test (and passed!) and then sat for five more minutes until they took his picture (which looks pretty funny with a half smile and wide, surprised looking eyes).  Now he is driving with us and I have to say, I'm surprised at what an anxious driver he is.  He is not comfortable or confident behind the wheel at all.  He will get better, of course, and then I think he will be a great driver since he is not a risk taker at all.  I think he will be a really careful driver, which I appreciate.  I was surprised at how immediate the mom worry was in me.  I guess I didn't expect to be so worried but I fear I'll be worried every time he gets behind the wheel.  He has to have the permit for a year before he can get his license, which I don't remember being the case for me when I was his age but I also took driver's ed at school so maybe that made it different.  We will move next summer, the month he should be getting his license so that will make timing interesting.  I'm so excited for him and this new experience for him.  I am a little sad he is so old already but mostly, just really pleased that he gets to have these new experiences.

Comments

Popular Posts