Shinjuku Gyoen and my fairy princess

My friend is in charge of a photography walk for the PTA.  I've been a few times but usually don't go because I have Felicity with me.  My friend wanted to focus on portraits and asked if I would come and give some tips on taking portraits and bring Felicity as our model so the ladies could practice taking photos.  Felicity is in a lot of my photos because she is the only one home these days but she isn't a huge fan of having her photo taken.  She isn't exactly a photo-fighter, she just doesn't care about it.  Usually she ignores me does her own thing but she doesn't particularly love to pose for photos for me.  Since I like lifestyle and documentary, her lack of posing usually doesn't bother me and I like to just capture her doing her thing.  I asked her if she would be okay being our model and letting ladies take her photo and in her prayers that night she asked, "Help me to be patient while the ladies take my pictures."  She did a great job!  We went to Shinjuku Gyoen, which is a beautiful garden in Shinjuku.  It was cloudy and honestly, the garden had a fairy-like quality about it that morning.  It was so beautiful.  

We had a tender mercy on the way home.  Buses don't drop off and pick up at the same place.  It can get complicated, especially since google maps doesn't always recognize where you are or tells you the wrong bus stop.  Anyway, we followed google maps and it told us to cross the intersection, which we did, and there were three bus stops within a few feet of each other.  I went to the one I thought it was indicating but that was the wrong one so we crossed the road again and walked to the second bus stop.  The sign said it was the same number and name for the bus listed on google maps so I thought we were at the right stop.  As we sat down on the bunch to wait for the bus, a lady with a stroller passed us.  She walked a few steps and then turned around and asked me where I was trying to go.  I showed her my phone and pointed to the sign for the bus stop.  She told me that this bus didn't come very often and I actually needed the third bus stop across the street.  I thanked her and we crossed the road yet again and caught the correct bus.  I felt really grateful that she stopped.  I'm not sure why she stopped.  Maybe she saw us cross the street already twice!  Also, the longer I live here the more thankful I am for those Japanese individuals who bravely speak to me in English.  They are very shy and I have found that even those that can speak English very well still feel embarrassed to speak in English so whenever someone speaks to me in English, I feel so grateful for them.  I feel grateful for the individuals who are placed in my path that help me navigate this complicated city.  




























 

Comments

Popular Posts