Mike's coming home

On Wednesday mornings I usually take the four older kids to Art/P.E. at the community center.  They love it even though the art class isn't really that great.  Mostly, they just really enjoy being with friends for two hours.  While they are in their classes Felicity and I go run errands or go to the park.  It's a really nice break for me to spend some one on one time with her.  Today, however, some friends invited us to to the park and I thought we would skip Art/P.E. and go hang out with our friends.  They have a bunch of kids too and we always have fun with them.  We went to the Rotary Park, a park I had never taken the kids to.  It's right on the river and the kids only played at the actual park area briefly and then spent the rest of the time playing in the water catching hermit crabs, finding puffer fish, catching a snake, and watching dolphins swim by.  I didn't have them bring their swimming suits so we will go back another time.  We also brought cards and taught everyone how to play Nertz/Pounce.  It was nice to put school aside for a few hours and just enjoy being outside and interacting with friends.  

Tomorrow (in a few hours actually), Mike checks out of his room.  He will get a ride to the bus station and then sit for a lot of hours and then drive to the airport and sit for even more hours.  He will catch a plane to Baltimore and arrive tomorrow and then sit there for a few hours, or, depending on if there is a delay or not, go to his sister's house and get a few hours of sleep and then return to the airport and fly here.  He should be here by 5 PM on Saturday.  

I feel giddy.  It feels kind of surreal and I can't help but feel like something will go wrong to prevent him from coming home on Saturday but I just push those thoughts aside and focus on thoughts of seeing him so soon!!  

I'm so glad it's over.  I feel triumphant and relieved and a little anxious about things.  Everyone keeps telling me how hard the transition is when they get back and of course I'd like to believe that we won't have to deal with too much difficulty.  We've talked about from time to time and discussed things that are different now and I hope we can just slide back into life with him but it will be interesting to see how that goes.  Life with Mike is never very difficult so hopefully this won't shake things up too much.  I guess I'm mostly worried about the kids because Mike is more strict than me and I've probably let some things slide and he most likely will not have a problem getting back into the disciplining.  I can't say I mind that too much because I need help.  It's been difficult some times and I feel like I've managed everyone fine but having backup again will be nice.  Also, the kids need to go back to being kids and letting me and Mike be the parents.  I mean, I've tried not to place too many more added responsibilities or grown up things on the kids but I think inevitably that will happen when there is a deployment and I think it's time for them to have space to be kids, not grow up too quickly.  

Mike has to go into work on Monday but then he is required to take 10 days off in the area.  I can't wait.  I could really use his help with finishing up school and getting the kids tested.  I also really look forward to all the normal stuff we do together like going to Sam's club or going for walks after dinner again.  

It was hard for me to learn to sleep without him but now I sleep soundly and well by myself (for the most part) and it will be hard for me to adjust to having him next to me again.  I never sleep well with his snoring and he is a light sleeper so we always seem to wake each other up.  Of course, it's worth it to have him back.  

It's late and I should go to bed.  

Comments

Popular Posts