Philadelphia

We had planned to go on a family vacation to the Northeastern part of the country.  We talked about Canada, Michigan, and Connecticut.  Our thought was that because of a new baby and Mike's school schedule, a Spring Break probably won't be possible this year.  We try to always go somewhere together as a family at least once a year.  Later, Mike came home and asked if we could go visit his parents instead.  Mike's dad is retiring soon and they are trying to make future plans but are still not sure what they are going to do or where they are going to be and since we are moving in a year and don't know yet where we will be, we thought visiting would be a good idea.  We generally live by the unspoken rule that if we live in the East we visit Mike's parents and if we live in the West we visit my parents.  Well, this is an Eastern assignment for us but we might not be near either set of parents next time so we wanted to take the chance now to visit before we can't.  

We bought tickets to visit the new Philadelphia temple with his parents and sister's family (my brother-in-law's sister also joined us with her kids).  It was simply amazing.  I've been in only one other temple for the open house and been in many temples to do sessions but for some reason this temple just seemed different to me.  The first room they took us to was the baptismal font and I got teary eyed right away.  Maybe it was just that it was the first time I've ever been inside the temple with my little family that got me, I'm not sure, but it was a really sweet moment.  Everything about this temple was so specific to the area.  The doors, the floors, the molding, paintings, decor, etc. had a colonial feel.  It was beautiful.  I loved the carved quills above the reception area.  The Philadelphia temple is right in the middle of the city so there isn't really the typical temple ground area like I'm used to.  They have a small area you can walk and then another very small rooftop garden area next to the temple.  Because of that I didn't really get any good pictures.   




After the temple we were starving so we changed into our street clothes (in the temple parking lot!) and drove to the famous Geno's Philly Cheese steak restaurant.  We had considered Patt's (a rival cheese steak restaurant across the street) but it was way too crowded.  We got to Geno's just in time before lines formed behind us and we were able to snag some of the last tables.  It was my first experience with a Philly Cheese steak and it did not disappoint.  It was so good.  The best part was that all of the kids were happy with their sandwiches as well so I'd say it was a success!  






 After Geno's we said goodbye to Jessie and Jason and Katie (Jason's sister) and decided to do some sight seeing.  After walking back to the car in the humidity and heat though we decided that perhaps we didn't want to do too much sight seeing after all.  It was so hot!  We wanted to check out the Mint museum though and since it was in an air conditioned building it seemed like a good option.  It was actually really interesting and I think the boys and Piper really enjoyed themselves.  Pictures are not allowed once inside so I just got a quick picture outside the building.

I have been to Philly a couple other times where I got to check out some more sights of the city and I have enjoyed it every time I've gone.  I think we will have to go back when it is a little bit cooler and let the kids see some more of the cool historical sights Philly has to offer.  

Comments

Popular Posts