Pinewood derby

Piper got sick from the boys.  She has had a fever the majority of the week.  I took her into the doctor because I was sick of her being sick all the time.  They did a bunch of tests only to say that her blood count is fine and she has a virus.  Bleh.  She's been screaming at me all week and it's been grating on my nerves.  I know she isn't feeling well so I've tried to be patient but man, I hate when she is sick and all the attitude that comes with it.  

I've had lots of topics on my mind this week--Laila, family relationships, friends, personal goals, callings, needs of the boys, etc.  I took a couple of pictures this week.

I told my mom about these vibrant bushes outside my house.  These bushes are all around town.  They come in red, pink, and white.  The white ones look like popcorn.  They are so pretty.  I had no idea this plain looking bush outside my front door would bloom into this gorgeous bush!
 My house looks so big in this picture.  Makes me feel immensely spoiled.  I love the blooming trees, bushes, and pretty landscaping that previous owners did.
 This week the boys have been working hard on their cars.  After last year when Will was second to last place he decided he wanted a fast car.  Last year he just made it the way he wanted it to look without much thought to how it would run.  Mike was in Tennessee visiting the school and I had no clue what to do with a pinewood derby car.  We showed up without any weights and I didn't even know they had to have weights.  All the dads frantically got to work helping get Will's car so it would qualify to race.  This year Will watched videos about how to build a fast car.  He told us colors and designs and shapes.  Then he told us how he wanted his wheels and where he wanted the weights.  Isaac also watched the videos and told us design and colors but he wasn't nearly as involved in telling us what he wanted.  Ironically, Isaac did much better than Will.  Will was pretty disappointed but he still had a good attitude.  His car was in the middle of the pack and Isaac was 6th of 25.  They both did a good job and I think Will was mostly just relieved not to come in last in any of the races.



 We all went to cheer the boys.  Piper's little friend was there and they had both brought their stuffed animals.  It was so cute to watch them sit by each other and love on their animals.

 Mike was the MC.  He had to make some adjustments to Will's car right before the derby started and he drilled into his finger!  It got blood all over Will's car and on the concrete.  Gross.  He pretended he was fine and did  a great job as the MC.



Yesterday we also went rollerskating with some friends.  It was a lot of fun and we are all sore from skating for 3 1/2 hrs!  On Friday we also met some new friends to let the kids ride bikes and play.  It is really nice to be making friends here and feeling like we fit in.  I'm happy the boys are having such good experiences with friends and activities.

I do have a negative thing I'd like to point out about Tennessee however.  I get so incredibly annoyed with how quickly the produce goes bad.  It's a losing battle.  If it isn't eaten in two days it's bad.  Our garden better start growing and I better find a good way to keep the birds from eating all our food!

Comments

blondeviolin said…
Do you have a Costco membership? My parents live just outside of Knoxville (in Oak Ridge) and they frequent Costco for produce a lot.

Alaska is HORRIBLE for produce. We have a good farmer's market in the summer, but the season is super short. In the winter especially it was difficult to feed the family with fresh food since it went bad within a day with really no period of ripe.
We have a Sam's club card but we can't eat produce as fast as it goes bad so buying that much in bulk would just get wasted. It's crazy because we actually eat a lot of produce--salads, carrots, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes, apples, kiwi, strawberries, avocados, blueberries, you get the idea. I don't live in a very urban area so it's frustrating to have to drive to get produce every few days just so it won't get spoiled. It's super annoying. We planted a garden and have a strawberry, blueberry, grape, raspberry, and blackberry bush as well as veggies but the birds from the forest behind the house are getting the strawberries before we do. I'm gonna have to put a net over the plants or hang some shiney CD's I think

Popular Posts