Some things about the boy's

I think we are adjusting pretty well here.  The boys have already gone to a few birthday parties, enjoy their new scout dens, and are making great friends in the neighborhood.  We had an incident yesterday with some neighbor boys that left my blood pressure high for awhile after.  Will chose a game that was much too rough and when Eli wouldn't get off, Will called for help, resulting in the neighbor boy pulling Eli's hair and thus provoking the wrath of Eli.  There was screaming, red faces, and more hair pulling.  We came onto the scene to find Isaac holding Eli back, the neighbor boy inching his way to his bike, and Eli about to throw a punch.  All this happened minutes before we were going to go to a fancy restaurant for our anniversary date.  I'm not sure I've ever seen Eli more mad.  The boy told his mom that Eli was way more tough than he thought he would be.  We told Eli that the neighbor boy probably learned pretty quickly not to physically hurt Eli again.  And also a bunch of other things like, "That is inappropriate behavior"  "You can't just attack someone because they pull your hair" "Next time you ought to say, 'You freakin' jerk, go home!"  Blah, Blah, Blah. I was pretty upset about the whole situation.  It hurt my stomach to think about Eli getting that angry.  It made me mad that Will continues to make up ridiculous games and then wig out when Eli gets too rough (Eli is a very strong little boy and probably could take down both boys by himself).  It made me angry that the neighbor boy thought it would be ok to pull hair.  Also, we missed our reservations and had to wait an additional hour and a half before we could be seated.  So I was angry about that too.

Something about the fight makes me feel like we are officially a part of the neighborhood or something like that.  Also, a neighbor boy is currently playing our computer while the other boys are outside playing with some other kids.  I guess he feels comfortable in our home...

I do like this neighborhood.  It's kind of strange to see people riding golf carts down the road like that is a normal thing to do.  Today was the neighborhood garage sale and one neighbor, who owns a farm nearby, had a huge flatbed of pumpkins and gourds.  He generously gave all the neighborhood kids free little pumpkins.  We've been told that Halloween is a big deal in the neighborhood and that we will have trick-or-treaters all night long.  The boys can't wait!

Anyway, this post is actually about the boy's room.  I decided not to paint their room for awhile even though it is flat paint and will need to be painted eventually.  We don't own any nice furniture except for an ottoman that I bought on clearance and the new piano we just bought.  The boy's room is no different.  Their dressers were antiques we got for free from a lady in our ward in Ohio.  We bought their bunk beds off craigslist.  My brother, who is now 18, had a toddler bed that we inherited nine years ago.  I'm not sure how long my brother slept in the bed before that.  Isaac broke the bed last Easter and the boys have been sleeping on a mattress on the floor since then.  We finally bought a new bed but I decided to make use of the headboard and foot board of the toddler bed.  It went from this:

To this:

Will likes to fold paper airplanes and origami.  I decided to put his talent to use and had him fold a bunch to hang in their room.


I also decided to take the ladder from the bunk bed (they don't use it) to make a shelf to display some things on their wall.

In the corner I hung up their hooks for their towels, moved a bookshelf into their room (the movers damaged it...), and hung a cork board for the pictures they draw.

I also hung up the missionary post cards our friends from Oklahoma gave us.

Their room is nothing fancy but I think they are happy with it.  They are boys and pretty easy to please in the decorating department.  As long as they have their favorite blankets and a place to put their special items, they don't really care what it looks like.  Isaac did say, "Now when I bring my friends in my room they will say we have the coolest room ever."




Comments

Papa Doc said…
I love their room! And who would have thought that an old headboard to a very old bed could be so darn cute! I also love the lander hung on the wall. Great ideas!

Popular Posts