"I'll walk with you on the sidewalk"

We celebrated our 11 year anniversary yesterday.  I told Mike that since it was our 11th anniversary I'd walk on the sidewalk with him.  He responded, "Well, since it's been 11 years, I won't take it personally if you choose not to."  

We get to go for walks in the mornings together about twice a week.  The other days he goes running and then if Piper and I are walking (sometimes I do weight training at home) then he catches up with us after his run and walks a bit more with us.  I always walk in the street and Mike pushes the stroller on the sidewalk.  I didn't notice it at first but then I realized that I rarely walk on the sidewalk with them.  I mentioned it to Mike and he said, "Yeah, I know.  It's because you like your personal space.  You don't want to touch me when we walk."  It's true!  Those sidewalks are so narrow and I hate walking and bumping arms, especially here in the humid weather.  Even at 8:00 AM we come home drenched in sweat and that is just gross.  I don't like my own sweat, let alone his.  But it's not even the sweat.  I just like my space.  Mike has always been more touchy feely than me.  

11 years into this and we both know these things about each other.  I love that.  I love that I can walk on the street and Mike will know I still love him but that I need my space.  I love that after living with someone for so long you begin to understand those little nuances about your relationship that make it good, bad, unique, interesting, etc.  

I realize that Mike and I are so different from one another but we work so well together.  In all the important aspects of our relationship we are the same--our religiosity, our focus on the family, our financial goals.  The differences make up for the things we each lack individually and make us so strong and happy together.  

I am so thankful to be married to him.

This was one month before Laila died and our lives changed forever.  We look so young and peaceful


Three years later and we are still smiling.  We've grown so much together and are stronger than ever


Comments

Popular Posts