He's Five

Can you believe that Eli is 5?!  I can't.  This boy has become one of my greatest blessings in the past two years.  He has made my heart so happy.  I especially love when I am taking a shower and he will knock on the door to ask for a snack or something and then he will start to walk away but then run back and say, "Oh, and Mom?  I love you."  Such a change from the days where he used to punch me when I'd try and put him down for a nap.  He was such an angry toddler and I used to worry all the time about him.  And then, on Eli's third birthday Mike gave him a birthday blessing and I wrote the blessing down (I write all the blessings Mike gives them down in their journals) and he said that Eli was a special spirit sent to this family for special reason and that Heavenly Father was happy he was here in our family at that particular time--that Eli could learn from us and that we had much to learn from him.  

I've thought of that part of his blessing often since then and I've seen that it's true.  I have so much to learn from Eli and he was sent to our family at a special time.  I don't think it was coincidence that he came here when he did--right before Laila.  I have needed Eli's spunk, happiness, and independence these past two years.  Something has happened to my Eli since Laila passed away.  None of my friends in Ohio would believe he is the same kid.  The anger has mostly dissipated and he now is such a kind, gentle, helpful, respectful, and loving boy.  I'm not saying that his passion is gone.  Oh no.  It is still there and we see it from time to time.  But he is growing and maturing.  He has been such a help to me in the two years I've needed help the most.  It's like Laila's death softened him and he realized that his Momma needed him.  And I love him and have such tender, tender feelings for him.  I told him on Saturday how proud I was of him and how happy I was to see him growing but that I also was sad that he was getting to be so big.  He started crying big crocodile tears and threw his arms around my waist and buried his head into me and said, "I don't want to turn five and grow up either, Mom.  That means I have to leave you and go to school.  I don't want to leave you.  I want to stay home with you forever."  Oh, my heart melted a little.  I had to tell him that it was ok to grow up and even if it was a little sad, that good things came from growing too.  I don't think I convinced him too well.  He went to sleep with a few sniffles and tears remaining.    

But, enough of the mushies.  

He's five!  

That means that he got to have his first friends party.  He had a few requests--a lemon flavored cake with raspberries in the filling, a dinosaur themed party, and a pinata.  So that is just what he got.

I think he had a great party and a great birthday.  His party was Saturday and then today we celebrated as a family.  He wanted cinnamon rolls for breakfast and I had leftover cinnamon rolls from General Conference weekend--I'm telling you, these are the best cinnamon rolls ever...they were still moist and delicious a week later. Then because I had an appointment at Villa Sport, he didn't get lunch until 1:00 and since it was his birthday I surprised him by taking him to his favorite place to get a treat--Yo Yogurt.  He was shocked to discover that I was giving him frozen yogurt for lunch!  When his brothers and dad got home he opened presents and then we went to dinner--he requested Chili's.  I think he went to bed full and happy...and maybe a little sugared up (cinnamon rolls, frozen yogurt, and a slushy from Chili's).  Sometimes it's fun to spoil my kids--especially when they don't expect it.  

This is Eli's posing smile.  He thinks this is a real smile but it just makes him look worried.  He is waiting for his friends to arrive to his party.

The kids started the party drawing cave man drawings on butcher paper

Some of them wore the dinosaur tail and tried to knock all  the toys off the bench  just using their tail

They dug for dinosaur skeletons

Eli is showing them the "magical" swamp juice--homemade rootbeer

We had food for Herbivores and Carnivores



Serious whacking 

I had to post this.  I've been laughing about Isaac ever since I saw this picture.  "Do it like this Will!"  

This was not one of my better decorated cakes but it tasted really good if I do say so myself


Birthday boy at breakfast


Popular Posts