Monday, December 17, 2012

Two weeks in review

I woke up at 5 to feed the baby this morning.  I tried going back to sleep before I had to get the boys ready for school but there is just too much running through my head to go to sleep so here I am, trying to purge my mind of everything so I can move forward with the day and get done what needs to be done.

Today is Piperleigh's due date.  It's hard to believe that she is two weeks old now.  It's been a long two weeks.  Good, but long.

Since being born I've had to get someone to the doctor three times, not including the three times I've had to take Piper to the hospital lab for bili level checks and a PKU test.  This morning I have an appointment and then I also need to get Isaac checked out for a cough and persistent low grade fever.  So, that rounds our appointments out to eight in two weeks.  And that doesn't count the routine two-week check up I will have to set up for Piper some time this week.

Mike has had two work days off since Piper was born with a few half days sprinkled in here and there.  He left at 6:15 this morning and won't return until around 6:00 tonight.  He's been busy at work with finals for the cadets.  I've been trying to be understanding and supportive.  I realize that he doesn't have much of a choice and has to be at work.  In my attempts to be supportive, he has only recently realized that it's all just stressing me out a bit.  Having him gone, having a newborn, being a little under the weather myself, recovering from a difficult labor, getting boys to school, trying to make this a fun holiday for everyone, and still do all the normal things that need to be done around the house.  He says he had no idea I was feeling so stressed out.  I guess that's good, right?  

Thankfully, Piper sleeps well at night.  She has some cranky hours in the day where she has a hard time sleeping but when night comes, she sleeps well.  I am surprised that I am still tired though.  I guess that happens when your body is trying to recover from nine months lack of sleep.  But the sleep I get allows me to be awake for the boys and not walking around like a walking zombie--just a half walking zombie...

The other nice thing about the last few weeks has been the help from friends.  I made some frozen meals before the baby came so people won't have to make meals for us but of course, we have still gotten plenty of meals from friends.  And it's been nice.  And friends have also helped with Eli, inviting him over to play so that he won't be bored stuck at home with me.  It's been good for him--though, I've missed him with all his being away at friends houses.

All in all, things haven't been that bad.  Mike is right, I've done fairly well at keeping things going as they should the last two weeks.  The baby has been a pretty easy going baby so far (crossing my fingers it stays that way!), the boys are old enough now to get themselves dressed and ready, and Mike is super helpful when he's home.  I'd say that these two weeks have been good and I'm looking forward to Mike taking a few days of work off this week and the boys being out of school on Friday.


Aaron and Lisa said...

You are amazing Adrianne! I do not cope that well after having babies!

JC Choate said...

Babies and finals are a tough mixture, I understand! Glad to hear you have great friends and awesome kids and super husband. :)