Sunday, July 22, 2012

The rest of the Reunion

Tuesday was the last real day of the family reunion.  We woke up and got the kids all ready to go to Garden of the Gods.  It was a hot week and the fourth of July was the following day so we were pretty sure if we didn't get there early there would be no where to park.  Thankfully, we arrived at the perfect time (by the time we left the parking lot was packed and we would have had a frustrating time finding spots had we waited longer).

The kids all loved climbing the rocks and even though it was hot we still had a great time.

Mike and the boys and I came home while everyone else stayed to climb more rocks and visit the trading post.  We didn't figure our boys needed to buy any souvenirs from the trading post so we opted out of that activity, much to the annoyance of the boys.

I had arranged to have some sisters come babysit all 13 kids so the adults could go out to lunch so once everyone returned from the Garden of the Gods, we ditched our kids and went to Tucanos.  It was so nice to just hang out and enjoy a delicious lunch with no kids.

After lunch we all go together our things and went to the church to set up our Cousin Carnival.  It was so much fun and while I wish I could claim the awesome idea, it came from Pinterest.  Each couple had chosen some carnival games and we set it up so when the kids arrived the games were ready to go.  The only problem was that it was super windy and our stuff kept wanting to blow away.  I think it was such a success though and each kid seemed happy and came away with prizes and treats.

We had a football throw, dart throw, bean bag toss, ring toss, cupcake decorating (they got to make cupcakes that looked like hamburgers and hot dogs), a silly photo booth, a balloon toss, relay races, and face painting.  Then of course, there was also a water balloon fight at the end and the dad's set up rocket launching as well.

Mike's brother and his family that couldn't come even made an appearance!

The final day was Wed. and Jessie and Jason and family had to leave to catch a plane home.  The rest of the adults spent the day packing vans and getting ready to leave early Thursday morning.  The kids played in the hot tub and shot of rockets, made patriotic windsocks, and just played together.  Later in the evening we took a stroll down to the park and let the kids play and then when it was dark we taped glow sticks to the rockets and shot those in the air to act as our fireworks (fireworks are illegal in Colorado Springs, including sparklers).  It didn't really seem like the fourth of July to me but it was still a good day to spend with family. 

We loved having Mike's family and are were so grateful to see (almost) everyone.  I'm not gonna lie, it was hard to have that many people in my house for that long but I'm so grateful they all came and for their help and for how well everyone got along.  Overall, it was such a great family reunion and the kids keep talking about their cousins and can't wait to see them again--maybe next time in an air conditioned house when it's not 100 degrees outside and we can't open the windows because of the smoke, or...on a cruise!  

Thanks for coming Richards Family!!


The Duke said...

It looks like it was so much fun! I love that photo of Mike and the feathers, too. And the picture of you and Mike in yellow is really cute.

chelsey said...

Looks like a smashing success! I'll bet the kids can't wait to do it all again! Loved the photos!