Field Day, Gardens, and Martial Arts

School gets out on Tuesday and I am really looking forward to it.  This week Isaac has had a weird schedule so he's been home twice this week and I've really enjoyed it.  I am going to miss him and Will when they have to go to school again (Aug. 1!) and are gone all day.  It's been such a blessing to have Isaac in a half-day kindergarten and I am afraid Eli is going to have a hard time when he's home with me all day long.  But, I'm planning on doing a co-op with him so hopefully that will give him enough to keep him busy when his brothers are gone.

On Monday Isaac had field day.  Eli and I went to watch him and he was just so cute in his little skinny jeans playing with all of his classmates.  I can hardly believe he will be in 1st grade next year.






To change the subject, we've been busy planting things.  Usually I am pretty involved in the planting, but this year Mike has done most of it.  I am getting more involved now that they are getting outside.  So far, we have raspberries, blueberries, two apple trees, a plum tree and a cheery tree (that is only producing two cherries).  We also decided that since our yard is pretty small we should have a raised garden and some containers rather than the normal garden beds.  Mike built this cool raised square foot garden bed and we have attached our containers to the fence.  We decided to recycle our milk jugs and use those as our containers and we'll see how that works out this year.  Besides the fruits I listed we have cucumbers, zucchini, cheery tomatoes, oxheart tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, onions, spinach, celery, Anaheim peppers, potatoes, and jalapenos.  We hear that hail does a lot of damage here so Mike put a pet screen over the raised bed as a hail protection and eventually we will have to put nets over our trees to protect them from the birds.  We also noticed that some bugs are getting at our apple tree so we have to take care of that problem.  Other than that, I'm excited to have things start producing.  We have heard that gardening in Colorado is a challenge so we will see if we can have a successful garden this year or not.

 Still growing...
 Mike's raised bed with the pet screen to protect from hail


Blueberries (we've heard they are hard to grow, so we'll see what happens)

I'm also excited about the hanging plants Mike bought me for the porch and can't wait for my hydrangeas to bloom.  My neighbor said, "When are you going to pull those tall weeds" and I was like, "Uh, those are hydrangeas and I won't be pulling them out."  I love them and they are just so pretty in front of my porch.  Though, the flower bed in front of the porch is a mess right now that I don't know what to do about.

 My messy flower garden in the front with my "weeds" or hydrangeas about to bloom on the right.
I love these pretty white flowers but between the spreading hydrangeas and these flowers they are at war to see which plant can take over my flower bed.  Not sure what to pull out or how to keep them in their spots.  I didn't know that hydrangea spread, but they do....

One last change of subject:  the boys are all taking Martial Arts.  When I say all I mean even Mike.  It's cute and they are loving it.  I'm especially surprised at Eli.  He is in his own class and is doing such a good job.  It's super cute.  I'll get pictures of it later.

Comments

The Duke said…
I love the idea of those milk cartons! What a good idea. I LOVE your hydrangeas (sp?). We have tried to grow them but haven't been successful. I didn't know they spread, either. I'd just thin both the white and hydrangeas and leave both there.
I'll be glad to have Ammon home, too, for the summer.
Papa Doc said…
Blueberries need sulfar. That is, they are acid loving plants and do not usually do well in our high PH soils of the west. Sulfar helps to acidify things. I use it in my whole garden.

Dad Clark
Jess and Jen said…
I can't believe how much fun I find a garden these days. I must be getting old. Your garden looks great! -Jess

Popular Posts