A very normal post

Well, these past few weeks have been interesting.  I attended a funeral this week.  I don't really want to talk about it so I'm not going to say anything more than that about it.  It's interesting really.  At first, I kept wanting to keep my feelings for Laila's death to myself but I just kept feeling an urgency to write them.  It annoyed me sometimes because they are sacred and personal and I hated having my feelings and thoughts being under a microscope.  Then, something switched a few months ago.  It's almost as if I feel like I've said what I needed to say and now I don't have to share anymore unless I want to.  And I welcome that.  There will be things I will still share or need to write about but for now I don't feel a desire to write about my feelings regarding Laila's death.  So, I write them in my journal or on my private blog and I'm satisfied with that.

But I DO want to write about the boys.

Last night we went to the art night at Will's school.  He's been really excited about us going and seeing all his artwork.  I love seeing my boys get excited about art.  He would work on a project at school and then come home that day and feverishly try to duplicate it so I had seen previews of his art already.  His younger brothers are just as interested in art and they spend hours at the kitchen tables with their little tongues out in deep concentration trying to make their pictures just right.  They fill notebooks full of pictures.

Isaac told me recently that he is starting to be a good missionary.  I asked him why that was and he said, "I go preach to the preschoolers at recess."  That cracks me up.  He's thriving in school.  Will and Isaac have similar spelling words at school...they both had the word "look" this week and Isaac is always pointing out phonograms.  Will just finished the entire Percy Jackson series and now is reading the second book in the Fablehaven series.  As far as Eli and school--I am going to do a co-op this year with next year and he is really excited about it.

Eli got his birthday blessing last night.  Mike always gives the boys father's blessings when they have a birthday.  I just sit quietly in the corner trying to write quickly enough to capture the things Mike blesses them with.  I always love getting to hear the promises made for my children each year.

Mike is working hard to perfect his cheese-making.  He built a cheese room in our basement.  Yes, I married a very funny man.  Tonight we have to attend some fancy dinner at his work.  I feel like I'm going to the prom, minus the dancing.  They probably will have dancing there actually but not until after dinner when everyone is drunk so we are choosing to skip out on the dancing part.  It's a dinner for the graduating Cadets and all the professors have to go.  They play silly games where they try to trick you into messing up so you will be sent to "The Grog."  The Grog is some nasty drink.  For non drinkers it's a mixture of every soda thinkable with melting ice cream and other nasty stuff.  For drinkers it's just a bunch of alcoholic drinks.  The goal is to get everyone drunk--yes, real mature and responsible.  I'm a little disappointed that on the one night I have a chance to dress up it's to hang out with a bunch of drunk people.  I'd much rather be dressing up for the fancy night of a cruise or something.  Regardless, I'm happy to be spending some time with Mike tonight and the boys are very excited for me to get all fancy tonight.


Comments

The Duke said…
Take a picture of you being all fancy! Wish I could be there to watch the boys for you.
Hope your boys become artists! I'm so glad you do the artwork you do because I'm sure it encourages them.
I hope you had a fun fancy night. I love hearing about your boys - we sure miss them.
Frances said…
I feel the same way about the Grog. Glad to hear the boys are doing so well. My girls just love art. I read those series and it hadn't occured to me that Lilian might like them. I'll have her try it!
Michelle said…
I would love to see you all dressed up. I hope you had a couple pictures taken. I think the whole Grog thing is super irresponsible. Why would military support such a thing and then who drives them all home? I would love to see pictures your boys drew. I miss your family a lot.

Popular Posts