Now that is what I call an ornament

At some point I decided that I didn't want my house to be stiff.  I want a nice home but I also want a home that is comfortable and fun and welcoming.  I feel that it's not really my home at all--it's ours.  Sure, the home is the woman's domain and I like that Mike allows me to decorate how I want, within limits of course.  Mostly, I just want a place for the boys to feel comfortable.  And so, we have their masterpieces all over the house.  Right now they are just taped to the pantry door but maybe eventually I'll find a better way to display them.  In keeping with my hope to let them have some freedom to express themselves, I let Will hang this ornament on our tree.  I giggle every time I see it.  When he first brought it home I had no idea that he would actually want to hang it on the tree.  He made it in art class and I imagine the teacher didn't envision any parent would actually let their child hang it.  Alas, it hangs on the tree.  If you look closely you might be able to see just how gigantic it is compared to the ornaments around it.  Will is so proud of it--and so am I, even if it IS about the size of Will and Isaac's heads put together.

Comments

Lokodi said…
Now that is just adorable! How sweet. I'm totally mean and controlling about my x-mas tree. I think next year I'll buy one of those little cheap trees and let the kids have their own to decorate. I get the big one. :) You're a wonderful mother.

Lindsey
The Duke said…
That's a pretty cute ornament. I feel like you do - Christmas is about family and they should be allowed to help decorate and give suggestions so it makes them feel like they are important and included in the activities. I always used to think we would get a second tree for the family room and let the kids totally take over - but we never could afford two trees so we didn't do it. Kaitlin finally put a tiny one up that is hers and she decorated the room with lights.
I love his little (big) ornament.
Alyssa said…
that is so cute!
Jed and Kera said…
that thing is huge! :O)
Frances said…
I love it. I love a tree filled with "junk" ornaments, it represents the kids and that's what it's for.
I did not notice how big it was until you pointed out the other ornaments beside it. How funny.
Jess and Jason said…
Our tree is covered in ornaments like this. And homemade garland...not the cute kind, but they are really count down links that somehow got put on the tree. And I love it that way!!
politicchic6 said…
Go big or go home, that is my motto as well!
marcie said…
That is so cute! My tree is covered with the kids ornaments. 5 kids and 30+ years, there are a few of them! The girls helped me hang ornaments, and I suggested they hang some of the "special" ones in the back. Abby caught on real quick as to what I meant. haha. Kev walked in and saw her hanging his macarroni bell in the back and suggested it could go in the front, Abby said "Grandma said 'those kind' of ornaments should go in the back". He promptly took it and hung it front and center!!

Popular Posts