A party!

Well, we've had a lot going on in our lives lately so I've had a lot to post. On Tuesday night I got to go to a party--a party for our cooking baby. She's due soon. Did I mention that? Anyway, back in December, a friend offered to throw me a shower. And then a bunch of people offered to help her. I was touched. I think it's safe to say that it was THE BEST shower ever. There was a lot of talking, eating, opening presents, pedicures, etc. Mainly, there was talking and laughing. I felt like it was a big love fest or something. Pedicures Making the quilt squares

Lets take a minute to reflect back. When we had been here for about nine months I was lamenting to Mike one night that I felt kind of lonely. I had plenty of acquaintances but didn't really feel that I had friends, people that really cared about me. And I was sad and not sure how to make friends. I was trying really hard to be involved and serve people and just didn't see my attempts to make friends come to fruition.

Now we can come back to current time. When I made the list for the shower I wasn't sure how many people to invite and I ended up inviting about 30 people. I was a little embarrassed by the amount of people on the list but honestly, I felt there were certain people I couldn't exclude because I just wanted to be surrounded by special people and each person on that list is special to me. Plus, I assumed maybe half, if even that, would come.

I was surprised by the amount of people that came to celebrate this sweet baby. I was really touched by the personal gifts and the thought that went into each gift. Two gifts really touched me. One is a quilt with squares that each lady in attendance signed and personalized and another was a little book entitled, "Why we love your Mother." Inside are messages from the ladies. There are some really talented people in this ward and they used their talents freely. One friend spent 10 hours in one day to make a gift. We got the most beautiful blankets--each one quilted or sewn by the giver. They are so nice that I'm not sure I can let our little baby sleep with them for fear she will spit up on them. One friend painted a beautiful picture that I can't wait to get framed and hang in the nursery. This little girl is already really, really spoiled. Two of the beautiful quilts made by some of my favorite people I feel really overwhelmed and told Mike that I feel a little undeserving of all the attention and love. He joked, "I feel undeserving for you."

It's kind of a bittersweet feeling. On the one hand, each person that came means something important to me. My life has been touched in some way by each person in attendance. But it's also sad to know that I have to move and leave these people behind. I hope that I can eventually make similar friendships in my new ward and neighborhood but I know it will take time and effort on my part. And I will miss associating with my friends here.

I know it's a little mushy to say but I think it will be a great party in heaven when I get to see all my friends again (because I plan on being there and I plan on seeing all these ladies there too). Facebook, blogs, email, they are wonderful for continuing friendship and I plan on keeping in touch but it's not the same to be able to sit down and talk or go hang out. I am so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life from all my past moves and now from Ohio, and hopefully in Colorado. I know it is possible to continue friendships even when you have moved because some of my best friends are women from high school or college or Oklahoma that I don't get to see anymore but our friendship continues and I know that can happen with my friends here in Ohio as well.

Comments

Lokodi said…
That's so awesome you had a baby shower and so many ladies came. It looks like you have a lot of really great people who really care about you.

That was how I felt when I got a baby shower for Eva and Gabe. I had quite a few ladies show up and I felt so much love from each one of them. That's one of the reasons why it was so hard to move away the first time. When I came back, most of the ladies had moved away and it was a completely different place. So, I got to meet and make new friends. I know the same will happen with you. That's the great thing about the military. It gives you amazing opportunities to make friends from all over the world who will always love you. Good luck with your move and baby.

Lindsey
Michelle said…
That is so sweet of them to throw you a baby shower. It appears that many many people care about you. It looks like you had a wonderful time. It is sad to move away, but because of blogs and e-mail they can always be apart of your life and you with them. Wish I lived closer so I could have been there too.
It was an awesome party because there are so many people who truly care about you.
chelsey said…
Looks like a great shower! And Adrianne, you look beautiful in these photos. I know you feel like a moose these days with the due date coming up, but trust me. You look GREAT!
Lisa said…
How wonderful! You look beautiful. Good luck with the move and the new little one!
Jess and Jen said…
What a great party. Glad you got all the attention for at least one night! -Jess

Popular Posts