So, I Think I Can't Dance

When I was younger, like 9 or something, my mom put my sisters in dance class. I was excluded. Then she felt guilty and put me in dance too. I started dancing with my sisters and we took ballet and jazz. We learned the Running Man and the Roger Rabbit. Man, I'm getting old. I loved my pretty pink slippers. Let me tell you, I was an awesome, I mean awful dancer. Really. I was bad. Looking back I'm pretty sure that is why my mom opted not to put me in dance. She must have seen me dancing in the living room to Janet Jackson's "Black Cat" and just known that dancing wasn't my destiny. I mean, if you think of it that way, she tried to spare me. I'm pretty sure everyone else in the class knew I was a bad dancer too.

From that point on I pretty much gave up all hopes of being a dancer. My little sisters began taking dance lessons when I was in high school. They started at ages 7 and 4 and have been dancing since (now 18 and 21). Those girls can shake some boo-tay! I used to go to their performances and wish it was me up there dancing like a maniac.

(Flash forward to my current life.)

I still can't dance. I tried doing a dance work out the other night and giggled the whole way through. Mike was trying not to laugh. I looked like a retard. I just can't get my hips and arms to do what they should.

Oh well. I can still have hopes can't I? I can still dream that I'm a star.

So, in anticipation for one of our favorite shows, So You Think You Can Dance, we had a dance-off in our living room.

You heard that right. A dance-off. We couldn't crown a winner because if you know Will, you know that would create some major issues. But, we did all choose a song and shook our tail-feathers.
Shake it, baby! Shake it!








Whoops, how did this one get put on here?
They all had to be tossed in the air a few hundred times by both of us.
The boys made a very wise choice, "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"


Whoa, it takes a lot of energy to be a dancer, which is why Mike and I collapsed on the ground after the dance-off.
And now we are off to watch some real dancers do what we can't--DANCE!!

Comments

chelsey said…
You guys crack me up! I think your kids have the best parents. You're always doing something so fun! I can just hear those boys giggling and shouting for their turn!
And I must say, you and Mike should try out for the next round of that show. Looks like you've got the booty shaking down!
Jason said…
I am laughing out loud here at work. How fun.
The Woods said…
I loved the booty-slap picture so much I briefly considered taking one of myself to bring a little comic relief to those that stumble on my blog. Very funny.
Tana said…
That looked like an intense dance party! We should have all busted moves together while we were there. :) I love So You Think You Can Dance as well...it is one night I will not hand over the remote..Good thing Dave likes it too. Maybe we will have our own little dance off next week :)
Chels, I'll try out if you do...

Jason, you loved it so much you started doing a little jig at work, huh?

Monica, Oh, I'd love to see that booty-slap picture. Post it right now! Hurry, go do it.

Tana, convince Dave to have a dance off and then post the pictures. I'd love to see that!
Frances said…
You guys are so hilarious! And your butt looks great!
Jenn said…
Hilarious! PaRtY at the Richards'! Next time invite us so we can cheer you on. :-)
Pitcher Family said…
You guys must have the funnest house on the block!! My kids would probably die of hysterics if their dad started dancing. He just doesn't do that...
The Duke said…
What fun!!! Mike looks like he is going to die in the last picture. Your kids will never forget all these fun, silly things that you do with them.
I didn't ever say you couldn't dance - you just didn't seem all that interested. And you have discovered lots of wonderful talents that are all yours along the way. If I remember correctly, however, your back didn't seem to want to bend - instead of being able to curve when you were supposed to, you looked kind of square. Your body didn't want to bend. It looks a whole lot curvier (is that a word?) now than it used to (and I don't mean that by weight or age or anything - I can see that you actually can curve and bend).
It sure looks like you can dance! Thanks for your comment on my blog, I needed to know I wasn't alone in those thoughts! It's great to see you and your adorable family doing so well! Cute boys! You have a red head too?! Nice!

Popular Posts