Where's Andy?

Fall is usually my favorite season. There is emphasis on usually because this year I just can't get myself to embrace the season. A few weeks ago the sun peeked it's head out of the clouds for one day and I jumped at the chance to get us outside in the nice weather. We were under a wind advisory but we are used to wind (Oklahoma=dust bowl, remember?).

As I drove us to the gardens to play I asked myself, "Self, why are you so gloomy? Why aren't you grinning from ear to ear that the fall is here?" Then I realized it was because of the stinking grey weather here. I'm used to Utah where it may be cold but the air is crisp and the sun is shining. Or, I'm used to Oklahoma where the sun is shining and the air is warm for a long while still (or at least just light jacket weather most days). I have found myself holding my breath trying to gear myself up for six more months of grey blahness.

Well, we are going to enjoy this season if it's the last thing we do! My stove will have cinnamon sticks simmering in a pan. I am going to smile every time I look at my fall/Halloween decorations and we are going to have fun.

So, here's the deal: Mike's brother Andy is in Iraq (thank you for serving our country). He's been there for awhile and still has a bit to go. Since he can't celebrate Halloween in the USA we are inviting him to join us. We wrote him a letter with the official invite but it won't get to him for awhile and I am getting impatient so I'm leaking the news on the blog.

We are going to do some festive things this month and we want Andy to take a part in each one of them.

To begin with we made spiders for the missionaries. Andy was a great help.


Andy even got to try one. Lucky Andy. Mike and I coveted one but had to watch everyone else eat them (I wish I had the same control this week....)




Keep checking back to see what we (and Andy) get to do the rest of the month.

Comments

chelsey said…
Boy, for someone in a blah mood, you're still managing some pretty creative stuff there! How fun! Hang in there with this drab weather. I know how you feel. Look for something else to make you feel like the sun is shining. Today I saw a butterfly on the post at the bank.
Jake's preschool has a bulletin board outside each classroom and the teachers post a new picture everyweek. The title is always the same: I Saw God Today. Then the picture is of something that particular teacher saw that reminded them of God in their lives. I think with all this drab weather, we should each start a bulletin board like that at home. Great idea to remember the small stuff in life that makes us smile. Good way to prepare for Thanksgiving as well!
That is a great idea Chelsey! Maybe I'll do that...post a picture of something that reminded me of all the good things in my life. I've always loved the quote, "God is in the details." So, maybe I will start posting the details in my life that really make me love my life--like my sister!
Jed and Kera said…
Adrianne I really admire you! You guys do so much fun stuff! I love it!
Lilola said…
Don't count on 6 months of gray weather... it might not be gray. Of course, it might be gray, you just never know in Ohio. Some years are bright and sunny and warm and 70 until January. Just when you want beautiful snow, you don't get it. And just when you want a nice sunny day you get a week of snow.
Just don't expect the weather to always be the same, even though it might be!
Darn that global warming!! lol
Pitcher Family said…
It's good to see Andy again. It's been quite a while. What a great SIL you are to include him in your activities. I look forward to seeing your fall ideas!
The Duke said…
I love all your creative ideas and that you include your kids in all of them. You are creating memories that will make them smile all the rest of their lives.
One of the reasons I started taking photographs was to remind me how beautiful the world is. As the flowers turned to dried seed pods, I discovered that seed pods are actually more interesting (not as pretty) than the blossom itself. I could see the hand of creation in every season.
Take pictures - go on walks and look at the tiny little details and you will be shocked at how miraculous the world really is - gray or not.
Cali said…
I'm sorry that you have such gray, gray, gray weather. Maybe a song would help, I remember you singing to our little plant friends to "hold your head up, keep your head up, hold your head up!" Ahhh, wouldn't it be fun to be in those green houses again? OK, so maybe not! But to be with you would be wonderful. Your family is so lucky to have you.
THANK YOU! I was wondering were that yummy goodness I was tasting in the middle of the night was coming from. Thank you for letting me be part of your fall, and for allowing me to try the spider cookies.
Jess and Jason said…
I am laughing and laughing! Maybe Andy can come to our house for a little while too!

I am sorry about your weather. Ours is nasty and gray too.

Popular Posts