We are builders

Over the summer I was feeling like our family needed some direction, or purpose. After praying and going to the temple we decided our family needed a theme and goals. We decided our theme was going to be "We Are Builders." We chose four areas we feel we need to "build" to be a better family. We decided to have a Back to School Family Home Evening because it was right when school was starting for everyone and Mike was just ending his break before the next semester. Also, Mike's parents were there so we thought it would be fun to include them in our special Family Home Evening. We made a special dinner and then we presented our family theme to the boys. Mike and his dad also gave everyone blessings (including me and Mike's mom, as well as each other).

To help us remember our theme I made two posters. One is a poster with our theme on the top and the four areas we are working on. The other is a temple. On the back of the temple there are twelve sections that have the four areas written on the back. Each month we will have a Family Home Evening where we will discuss our progress in those areas and cut that strip of the temple. Then we will tape it onto our other poster board until we have "built" the temple.



We decided that the four things we want to build are Testimonies, Reserves, Talents, and Knowledge. We decided that for Testimonies we want to follow the council given in our recent General Conference and have a testimony meeting with our children on a regular basis. Our kids are obviously very little so when I say testimony meeting I mean that very liberally. We are going to take the opportunity to share our testimonies to them and then just talk about testimonies. We want to tell them stories from when we were growing up about how we gained our testimonies. I hope that we can help them recognize the Holy Ghost and help them understand how testimonies are gained.

We also want to build our testimonies by being better at the personal actions required to build them like scripture reading, fasting, temple attendance, etc. We both feel a need to serve more and to include our children in that service so each month we are having a family service project.

For knowledge we are just going to find opportunities to learn. Mike is trying to do well in school and we want the boys to love learning. I am not afraid to admit that I am not the smartest cookie when it comes to school stuff but I love to learn and I want my boys to learn that even if they aren't super smart in some areas they can still learn and they can still love to learn. So, I am taking it upon myself to do activities with them and provide them with learning opportunities in a way that will create an excitement for learning. We chose things we think they should all learn within the next year and will help them progress.

To build our reserves we are working on 72-hour kits, food storage, and saving money.

We also feel that we need to develop our talents and help the boys recognize the talents they have. I think talents really goes hand in hand with knowledge. We are going to try and find ways we can develop the talents we have and find new talents as well! The boys are just finishing up swimming and then we will ask them what they want to try next. I do not want to push them into anything and I never want to be over taxed by activities but I also want to give them the opportunity to try new things and see what they like.

We are really excited about this family theme. I'm so lucky to have a husband that has common goals as me. Every night when I pray I thank Heavenly Father for sending me a man that has a common goal of having a Christ-centered home. There is nothing I want more than to teach my children about Heavenly Father and help them feel the spirit in their lives. Isn't it such a gift we are given to have personal revelation that will lead and guide our families?

Comments

The Duke said…
You have an amazing family. Every time I read and see things that you do with your kids I am amazed and find myself wishing we had done more with all of you when you were growing up.
You are a great example of being involved with your family in so many ways.
I love it!! Thanks for being such a good example and for motivating me to be better - hope the cake decorating went well tonight.
Mommo said…
I saw your poster today. It didn't make sense to me....until I read your blog. Great ideas....amazing family.
Rachel Allen said…
What a great family and wonderful parents! (I know you didn't post this for people to tell you that - but I wanted to tell you anyway)!
I appreciate the comments but Rachel is right. I did not write this post so you all could say I'm so awesome, though I am... ;) Ha, Ha.

Actually, I know enough stellar families to know that we are not extraordinary. I imagine most families have their own things that they do to make their family stronger. That is why I appreciate personal revelation. This idea came at a moment of inspiration. I would not have thought of it otherwise. It seemed to come out of no where. I'm grateful that I can pray and fast and go to the temple and be assured an answer.
Cali said…
You are such an inspiration. Do you have any wisdom to pass on for inspiring brotherly love? Our kiddos are getting into arguing and I'm not quite sure how to handle it. Prayer, I'm sure will help.

Thank you for your example of prayer--you often comment how you go to the Lord in prayer when there is something that you need help with. Thank you for always sharing your experiences and testimony. And I really would take any advice you can offer on the arguing:)
tyalpabr said…
Love it! Such great ideas! We miss you guys tons! The boys are getting so big, I can't believe it!

Popular Posts