He's good to me

When Mike dated me he did little things to take care of me. Once he bought me a paring knife because I didn't have one. Unusual, but sweet. He promised to take care of me forever. I ask him what makes him happy and he tells me he is happiest when I am happy. And I believe him.

He gave me a free gift that's been making me happy lately.

When we inherited these free dressers he went and picked them up for me. When he unloaded them from the van I wondered if maybe our love for fee things extended a little too far. Perhaps we shouldn't believe that everything free is worth it.

I fixed them and Mike helped. He cut the legs off and hacked the weird spindles off the top and sides. You must see the pictures to get the full effect.

This one smells like skunk. Literally.

They both have wheels. This one was missing a wheel so a toy car lent his wheels while I painted.

We didn't like these so we took them off.

There was a cow bell in one of the drawers and it has provided hours of fun for the boys. Look at all those different knobs--four to be exact!

We didn't like the rotating mirror either.

This is the part where antique collectors give a collective gasp of horror. I sanded, painted, cut and came up with this:



Another view

I wanted the dresser to match these curtains:





Mike came up with a way for me to dry my knobs. He's brilliant.

Mike found me free dressers and that made me happy. After six years of marriage he still makes me happy. I think I'll keep him around.

Life is good.

*The older boys have a dresser too but it's been too humid and the paint is taking a long time to dry so I am not getting it done as quickly. Pictures to follow. And, I'm very appreciative to the couple in our ward that gave us these dressers. We were virtually strangers to them and they provided our boys with their first dressers!

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Free dressers are great! We've never bought one either. Great job on fixing them up!
chelsey said…
They look fantastic! Nice job! You want to come paint my chairs on the front porch now?? :)

What'd you do with that cowbell? I'd go bonkers after a whole day of clanking!
Frances said…
You certainly improved on them! It looks great. I love when furniture has an expected color.
Pitcher Family said…
Wow! You did great! Doesn't it feel good to create something nice out of something less than nice?!?!
Rachel Allen said…
Way to go! I love making old things look better and work my purposes.
The Duke said…
You are right - antique dealers would have gasped that you removed all the gadgets and whatnots to this thing, but what a nice, modern-looking dresser you have now for the boys. I love the color. Blue is my favorite color anyway. It looks really nice in the room.
Good job!!
JC Choate said…
looove it! and you said you're not much of a home decorator. psha, look how perfectly it matches those curtains!
Lisa said…
Way to go!! I can't believe you found the time to do that!
Jess and Jason said…
That looks great! Where did the crib go? On the other wall? I am always impressed with your talent!
Papa Doc said…
I am slow reading this, but it brought tears to my eyes. I could feel your happiness and love. I love you and Mike and the kids very much. Thanks for the blog with all these wonderful things on it.

Dad Clark

Popular Posts