The Moving Chronicles

I am writing from a hotel room while the boys watch a show and Eli naps. Mike is already at the house (we dropped him off at 8:00) with the movers. So far our move has been good as far as moves go, I guess. We woke up yesterday after a long Sunday in which we went to church and then promptly broke the Sabbath so we could finish getting ready for the packers to come early the next day. Some time in the morning yesterday after the packers were doing their business, I found Isaac rocking in his room singing that he needed his blanket. He didn't know where it was. I thought, "How could I possibly have spaced that? How could I have let his blanket get misplaced?" Isaac NEEDS his blanket. I asked the packers if they had seen a blue blanket and they had not. I took Isaac in his room and told him to say a prayer that Heavenly Father would help him find his blanket. It was a sweet prayer and Isaac tried not to cry but asked Heavenly Father in his shaky voice to help him find his favorite blankie. In a few minutes it was found by one of the packers. There were a few other prayers answered yesterday as well during the day.

The day was busy and stressful and I'm sure the lack of sleep contributed to my emotional state but I found myself close to tears a few times. Then at 4:00 PM when the packers and movers left and we were finally driving to the hotel, I felt so sad. My kids were all crying in the van, tired, confused. I called my mom and cried for a minute. My mom understands what it means to move but I think moves for her were more stressful than this current move. My friend had called a minute before and asked when we wanted to come to dinner--we have been blessed with some fabulous meals from a few really good friends this past week. I told my mom, "We are going to dinner at a friend's house in an hour. I really love her." And then I cried some more. I really love this particular friend. I hope she knows that.

Tempers are elevated and tension is felt. There have been a few occasions where I had to bite my tongue before I said something rude to Mike. What would be the point? My only reason for saying something rude to him would just to be rude and for him to know that I'm frustrated. I am sure there have been more than a few occasions where Mike has wanted to say something rude to me. I feel very lucky to have Mike as my husband. He does not say things just for the sake of hurting me or just because he is upset. Even so, the tension is there and while the words aren't being said, we both feel it.

Isaac doesn't understand what is going on. We talk about Jake and how we are going to Ohio to live near Jake. Will said, "Can we come back to our house after we visit Jake?" He understands now that it is not just a visit. Isaac doesn't understand. He keeps asking if we can go home. Last night he cried and said he wanted his bed and didn't understand that his bed is disassembled and that he wouldn't have his bed back for almost a month.

Diamond is very confused right now. He acted like a dog on speed last night when we went to check on him after dinner. He acted like he hadn't just seen us a few hours earlier. But even Diamond seems to understand that things aren't quite normal.

When Eli wakes up we are going back to the house to clean. The house will most likely be mostly loaded if not completely loaded by then. It is strange and sad. We have loved our house.

Of course it will be a fun new adventure. We will make new friends, find a new house, get new callings, and be closer to family. But right now, we are feeling sad and lonely for our friends already and impatient for our familiar things to surround us again (and they aren't even all loaded yet!).

Well, the baby just woke up and so we need to go and clean. It is going to be in the 80's today so hopefully the boys will play in the backyard a lot while we clean. And then we have promised to take them swimming in the hotel pool. We really need to make this move exciting and fun for them and they are really excited about swimming. So, I'll write some more later and continue with The Moving Chronicles....

Comments

The Duke said…
I can't tell you how badly I felt for you yesterday. I tried to say the right things, but sometimes there just isn't a right thing to say. Nothing I know of makes a move easier. The only thing I do know is that when one of my good friends moves away, I feel worse being left behind rather than being the one to go ahead to new adventures. It's strange how that works.
I have hated every single move. Not only is it exhausting physically, but it's emotionally draining. I have cried clear across the state of Nebraska and cried clear across the state of New York. I have been back to every place we have lived in except for the state of Oregon and I didn't care to go back there. We have found old friends and have met again. Keep that hope in the back of your mind.
We have been praying for all of you to be able to make this transition easily. The Lord understands - turn to Him for solace.
Mom
Joe and Liz said…
That's a cute story about finding the blanket after saying a prayer. I love it when kids can see that there prayers are answered.
I'm sorry it's been so stressful for you guys...I hope it gets better soon!
Good luck with your move!!
Frances said…
I feel your pain. I can't tell you how much harder this move has been for us. I felt like I prepared the kids for a long time but it was still a doozie. Rosie is taking it the hardest...she clings to anything she can carry. And Lilian has done pretty well except for some rude behavior that seems to be new. Good luck. Just get your routine back as soon as possible. I'm trying.
Lokodi said…
Boy, this is sounding all too familiar. Even down to the blanket. Although, we weren't lucky enough to have Eva's blanket found. The movers packed it and were gone before we realized it. I cried about that. I feel your pain about everything right now. We're still in a hotel and it's been almost a full month. Good luck. I can't give you any words of wisdom because I'm still wanting to cry myself. Moving sucks!

Lindsey
Jess and Jen said…
Moving does suck and you all married military husbands! What's up with that??

Adrianne, I felt for you and Lindsey as I read this post. It couldn't have been easy for either of you. -Jess
Jess and Jason said…
Good luck with everything!!
Packing up as a kid seemed really easy. As an adult, it is not. Every time I've had to move in the last 5 years, I think that I'm going to do better this time. I think that this time I'll have everything prepared and ready. Every time, I think I'm doing better untill I start loading the truck. It always seems like a hundred things pop out of nowhere. With Laura, Nick and Noah it was harder this last time, but we had the most help... Which also made it harder because I felt bad watching them try to deal with this silly guy who didn't have everything ready when they all showed up to help. Any way, it's always exciting unpacking because you get to rediscover all of the things you'd forgotten about. And if any thing breaks that you don't like, the Air Force will give you money to buy something nicer:) Before next move, you should buy all kinds of garage sale glass things...
Rachel said…
I HATE moving! Good luck with everything and know that it's OK to cry. Let it out! Hope all goes well.
Amy E said…
Just cry it out...even when it's an exciting thing, moves are tough. You make memories in your home and it's hard to leave. You have lots of friends and family who understand! We'll be praying for you!
And where in OH will you be? I would love to see you on a weekend or something, since we won't be too far. :)
Jason said…
My heart goes out to you, Adrianne. I have moved enough to know that it is something I really hate. Moving practically gives me an ulcer.

We are glad that you guys are closer, though. I don't know if that is a good thing for you or not but we like it.

Popular Posts