I'm flexing my domestic muscles, Chelsey

I am not a very good decorator. I actually get embarrassed to post pictures of my house on the blog because I am aware that it is often messy and not very cute looking. I often walk into a room and think, "I should straighten that picture" or "we should center our furniture in the room better" only to go do something else.

Sometimes I go to Hobby Lobby and look at all the fun things they have there and I am tempted to buy things to make my house cuter. But then I worry that Mike will be annoyed that I bought stuff for decorating the house--which is silly because he's never said anything to me about anything I've ever bought since we've been married. Other times when I get to thinking I'll buy something for my house, I think that it really isn't very necessary and that I should use my money for something more important. And then there are times when I go with the sole purpose of buying something and go to put it in the basket only to put it back on the shelf because I just cannot stomach paying so much money for something to decorate my house with. I mean seriously, do you know how expensive decorations are?! Another excuse is that I'm busy and decorating my house isn't my top priority.

Anyway, they are all excuses. Honestly, I don't know why I don't make more of an effort to decorate. I like imagining our house in the future all beautiful and inviting so why don't I just do it? Well, as you know, we started painting and I've been bitten by the decorating bug. I was looking around the house and thinking that it didn't look very Christmasy to me and I asked Mike if he thought our house felt like Christmas. He said that no, it didn't feel very Christmasy to him. So I asked if he would like it to be and he said, "secretly, yes." So, yeah! I ran to the store today and bought decorations. It was so much fun. The boys kept walking down the isles saying, "Oh, this is so pretty, Mommy. We should put this in the basket." We ended up spending only $36 so I was pleased and Mike was pleased.


Here are my attempts at being domestic. I doubt I will ever be very good at making my house all beautiful but it was fun and I hope I can make more of an effort to beautify our house from now on.

Ok, so this is lame, I know. I looked at those stocking hangers--the cute metal ones that say things like, "Peace" "Noel" and I just could not swallow spending $60 for 5. So, I got one of those wooden boards with pegs and used that. I'll paint it so it looks a little better. I'm sure I can find them cheaper but I haven't yet so this will have to work for now.
Our little Santa candle collection. I bought these last year.

I got these last year too. My friend got me the little child Nativity and I love it.
Can you see the dinosaur ornament? That was the one Isaac chose this year. And the peppers on the side, those were Will's choice last year. Will's dancing reindeer (this year's choice) is on the right kind of hiding (it has a green tutu) and the ornament Mike chose for himself, er, Eli, is the pink blowfish at the top. My favorite ornaments are the polka dot stars and the red and green polka dot bells but they are hiding. Such an interesting tree.


I hoped to get a wreath but even at %50 off, the cheapest one was $20! So, I got this instead. It looks a little ragged, but it's not too bad.


I even wrapped the ribbon around by myself. Aren't you so proud of me? Remember how I said that my house is messy quite often? Don't enlarge this picture!

Mr. Lime tree was feeling left out so we decorated him too.

Comments

Isn't that the BEST thing about Christmas ornaments?? Mike even hung lights inside our house (cause we have an apartment). Your tree is GREAT. So cute and looks huge to me.
Steff said…
Your decorations look great! It's nice that you both wanted the house to be more festive. It's way more fun that way. You are way ahead of me. I haven't even gotten my decorations out. Matt set up our ghetto tree and we aren't decorating it because an unamed child will rip it to pieces. I was kind of glad that I didn't have to pull out all the ornaments. Scroogey huh?
Pitcher Family said…
it all looks wonderful... we are still working on ours. We don't look "Christmasy" yet.
Papa Doc said…
I loved reading your post. Chris and I have had the same problems for years. It is frustrating to Mom. She is always afraid to spent the kind of money it takes to do things, too. I am at blame sometimes for that, but then the money thing is is a problem.

Your decorations look very nice. I am so pleased at the boys having such a good time. It is cool letting the kids select some orniments. I like the idea Chelsey had, except for the expence. She has a tree for her nice stuff, and one for the kids to have fun with. That, too is a good idea. We just never had more things than what the kids liked, so the really nice thing usually went undone.

Dad Clark
Papa Doc said…
I love the title of this post! You are so hilarious! Yes, as Dad said, I have had the same problem you have had. Kaitlin needed to take an ornament to help decorate a tree at school this week. She wanted to take two of my favorite ones from the tree and I wouldn't let her. I told her we had plenty that we didn't use and she had to use one of those.
I love beautifully decorated houses but expense (even $20.00) has always been the thing that has stopped me. It's nice to get a start and then build on it each year. I noticed that someone slipped on an ornament that Jess made at school when he was about 8that has his photo on it. It's on my tree this year. I like letting the kids put "their" ornaments on because that is part of what Christmas is all about.
I'm definitely proud of your efforts. Keep it up and over the years you will have a nice collection that will let you pick and choose.
Mom
Nolo and Lauren said…
well, you're doing better than me. i've just got a tree and stockings up. pretty sad i know.
blondeviolin said…
I'm not sure if I emailed, but our blog domain name changed. I hope it doesn't trip you up too much... :)
Jess and Jason said…
It all looks great. Watch the after Christmas sales and you can get some great stuff. We have the PEACE stocking holders that I paid like $7 for. I also bought NOEL and JOY for really super cheap and sold them the next year on ebay and made a bunch of money! I figure if we end up with more kids I can always sell PEACE on ebay too!
Amy E said…
You are doing just fine! I love that shelf with the picture and greenery and star. Very cute. If you hit the store the day or so after Christmas you can get a ton of cute stuff for lots cheaper. I've slowly added each year (Well the first year or two I got a lot more because of free rent at my in-laws so I felt more free to spend money) and now we have enough that I feel like our house is really Christmasy. Dollar Tree is a great place to look also. Now I just want to have things for the outside of our house to look festive. :)
Zach and Nikki said…
I hear you on the decorating debaucle(sp?). I'm the exact same way- and I don't have much in the way of Christmas decorations either. Every year I tell myself I'll just go and buy a bunch after Christmas for the next year, but then it comes and I feel like we've already spent our allotted amount of money for Christmas and I don't buy anything. One of these days, perhaps I'll just go and buy some finally.
chelsey said…
It's great Adrianne! And why's my name in the title? What, do you seem to think I'm some kind of domestic goddess or something? I wish! I do get great satisfaction decorating. Do you remember how many times (esp while we were little living in CA) we'd change the furniture configuration of our bedroom? It was at least once a month! And I've found that the dollar stores are the best place to find ornaments. Especially when your kids are little and like to "play" with the tree. Jake was throwing the balls for the dog the other day..
I love the peg board for the stocking holders! What a great idea! Plus, then you can personalize it with anything! Even rub on stickers or something. The house looks great!
Emily said…
Adrianne, I think it looks great. I love the stocking holder idea. I have the heavy ones and I worry that my kids will pull them down on their heads. Hope you have a great Christmas! Emily

Popular Posts