Eternity minus five remaining




Today is our third anniversary of living in Oklahoma. I wanted to watch the movie Oklahoma tonight to celebrate this day but we couldn't find it.

More importantly though, yesterday was our fifth anniversary. Can you believe it? We are truly adults now--three children, a dog, almost out of our twenties, five years of marriage under our belt.

I have thought about our thing and I don't think we really have one. We do however, have some things that are important to our relationship.

Las Vegas. Our relationship started there. We were forced to ride in the same car and as awkward as it was at first, I'm really glad. On that trip, I didn't start liking Mike and amazingly enough, I don't remember flirting with him (I was a major flirt in college). But, I did talk to him a lot and I remember that I was struck at how different he was from the first impression I had of him.

Glendale, California. We went to California together while we were dating. It was a rocky time in our relationship so it wasn't all roses but I feel like it was an important part of our dating because the drive from Utah to California is long. We had a lot of time to talk and I read him an entire Harry Potter book on that ride.

We just like to do things together--watch movies, go on walks, make future plans, cook, etc.
We both would rather be with each other than anyone else. Once, Mike went to a stake Bishopric meeting and got home at like 10 PM and I was still up waiting for him to get home. The Bishop saw the lights on and said to the other counselor in the car, "You can tell they haven't been married very long--she is still waiting up for him." I would guess that when we have been married 10, 20 years I will still be waiting up for him.

Anyway, I love my Mikey. I want to say thank you to Mom and Dad Richards for raising such a good son who has turned into a wonderful husband and father. Five years baby!

Comments

Amy E said…
Congratulations!! You two are a cute couple and your kids are adorable. By the way, I've tagged you...look at my blog to get the info.
Jess and Jen said…
Jen would still wait up for me. And we've been married almost 7 years! In fact, I think Jen and I have gone to bed at different times probably once in our nearly 7 years of marriage. If I want to stay up and watch the sports, she'll hang out on the couch until I'm done. She's a sweetie.

We have Oklahoma! on VHS and you can watch it when you come out in a few weeks.
Carolina said…
Congratulations! You guys really are grown-ups.
It was Sue at http://borrowedlight.blogspot.com/ anniversary yesterday too, and I was thinking how hard it is to write posts like this now that I've been reading SeriouslySoBlessed.blogspot.com

Hard to be so happy/grateful/blessed without hearing that voice in my head.

Congrats!
Jess and Jason said…
Congratulations! Five years goes by so fast!

We will be celebrating ten in May! WOW!! That makes me feel old. But at least I am old and happy!
Marcy said…
I love the "lights on" story. Reminds me of my favorite book which is THE BLUE CASTLE; it has a similar moment where the man realizes he loves the woman because of the light that is left on that means that she is waiting for him.
Team Clark said…
Hey - congrats (on both anniversaries)!
You guys are great and I'm glad you found each other.
Henry was just looking at pictures of your boys and wants them to come out to play with him. Maybe someday we'll live close so they can do that!
Frances said…
Congratulations! I can't believe you've had 3 kids in this time! You are out for a record girl!!
Zach and Nikki said…
Congrats you two! Wow- you can't even tell you two were totally sick in that wedding picture! I hear you on the part about how you'd rather be with your spouse more than anyone else. That's such a wonderful thing and the way it should be!
Rachel said…
Congrats! I remember that day well when you were sick at your own wedding. I'm glad the last 5 years have been better than that day. :)
chelsey said…
I agree with Rachel's comment! Remember how sick you both were on your wedding day? Glad it wasn't an indicator of the future! You guys are great and we can't wait to have you here in OH so we can finally hang out again! You certainly picked a good one Adrianne. We like Mike. :)
Papa Doc said…
Congratulations to a great couple! I knew you were meant for each other way before either of you did - Mike walked into the door and the thought that popped into my head (unbidden or unexpected) was, "Wow! What took you so long? She's been waiting for you."
Wish I had the energy to wait up for Dad, but he's a night owl and I'm a morning person - doesn't always mix so well. Hope you are still waiting up for him when you've been married 40 years.
Mom

Popular Posts