When I'm not looking

Lately, when I try to put the baby down for a nap I go in his room, turn off the lights and lock the door so the boys cannot get in. They think this is the time to do all the things they aren't allowed to do when I'm not around. A few of the naughty things they've done lately:
1. They got into the pantry (off limits) to find a snack and poured out 3/4 of the Marshmallow Mateys all over the floor.

2. Let the dog in, who then peed on my floor twice yesterday!

3. Went into my bathroom (off limits) with the dog and played in the toilet. I found them getting drinks out of the sink and then spitting the water into the toilet with Diamond drinking out of the toilet bowl.

4. Getting into the bathroom and tearing off 1/2 the roll of toilet paper onto the floor and taking the rest of the roll and throwing it in the toilet bowl.

5. We made a craft yesterday where I wrote the first letter of their names in permanent marker on construction paper and then let them outline it with glue and glue noodles on that we dyed. I put the papers up so they could dry and when I came out couldn't find the papers anymore. I asked Will what happened to them and he said they were in my room drying. I went into my room (also off limits to them) to find the pictures were upside down on my floor with the glue stuck all over the carpet. I also found glue all over the seats in the kitchen.

6. They broke the new DVD player we bought last month after going without one for over six months because the last one broke.

7. I found them in the van (in the garage, not outside, thankfully) with diamond in with them and all the lights turned on.
8. I found the box from the pantry that we keep the potatoes and rice in on their bedroom floor.
9. I found our little kitchen chopper filled with play dough.

10. This one didn't happen when I was in with the baby, but before I got up with the boys. Will peed his bed for the first time in six months and took the sheet off his bed, threw it in the tub in the guest bathroom, changed his underwear and pj's and dropped the wet clothes in a corner on his floor. I thought he was in different pj's than the ones we put on his before bed the night before but thought I must have been wrong. It was only when I went into their bedroom to get clothes for Isaac that I noticed the smell of urine. At least he tried to clean it all up and put new clothes on so I guess I can't complain that he didn't tell me he wet the bed. He wet again this morning and turned on the light to take the sheet off, waking Isaac up at 5:45. Grrr.

There are more, but I think you get the picture. They can't be left alone for two minutes.

Comments

Marcy said…
I feel your pain. My girls got my container of sugar down yesterday while I was making a cub scout flier. They dumped all the sugar out onto one of their toys, and then made sure to pour some over Wart too.
ARGH!!

I was complaining to my S-i-L the other day about how Lucy (Spot) had dumped out the syrup all over her breakfast plate and onto the carpet, etc. She was like, Oh, I guess you should have been watching them more carefully. And I was all, You think this was MY FAULT?

Easy for someone with only one kid to say, eh? (Of course, I was on the computer at the time, so it really WAS my fault -- but only that one time).
Papa Doc said…
HA, HA, HA, HA! I'm not laughing at you but at the situation. Been there, done that way too many times. All of you did some things you shouldn't have done when I wasn't around, but Jess ALWAYS did something he shouldn't have done --a whole bottle of syrup all over the living room floor, all over the piano, etc. You wouldn't be a mom if you didn't have these expriences. I will laugh at this all day long. They will grow up and you really won't kill them.
What a funny, funny post.
I'm sorry for your pain, though.
Mom
chelsey said…
Sarah and Olivia(our neighbor) decided to vacumm up the sand they dumped onto the patio. I had a whole bag of dirt and sand in my already underperforming vacumm cleaner. Not funny. I can't belive they even thought to drag the vacumm outside in the first place. Why not use a broom? Much easier! At least they were trying to clean it up.
Pitcher Family said…
I think the boys are very creative! At least they are not fighting and hurting each other. Be glad they were not drinking out of the toilet with the dog.
I'd like to say just laugh it off and clean it up, but as a mom I know how hard that is, and I have yet to learn that skill. Good luck, you'll survive. On the up side, you are keeping the rest of us entertained with their antics
Jess and Jen said…
Yes, you should be happy they weren't drinking the toilet water. These are definitely funny things to read about, but I know I wouldn't be living it if it had happened to me. Abby doesn't get into much trouble on her own and neither does Leah. But together they are trouble. They encourage eachother and I never know what I'll get (usually it involves water all over the bathroom!)

Jen
Emily said…
You're going to have to sleep with your eyes open. I thought pen all over our couch yesterday while I was teaching piano was bad enough for the day. Oh the kids we love and the crazy things they do for entertainment.
Cali said…
That is hilarious! We had dried beans ALL over our living room the other day. Collin vacuumed them all up, but than dumped than back out of the vacuum just so he could vacuum again! Your boys certainly keep you busy!

How do you have time for the fun crafts you do? And how do you think of them all? Keep posting about them, because I like to steal all of your ideas and make myself look like a wonderful mom, too!
Oh my goodness...Emma looks FORWARD to when I say "I'm going to give Andrew a nap" she always says "watch Wonder Pets??" She loves it...and wouldn't pull herself away from the TV if she was paid...you poor thing.

I hope he's sleeping better for you.
Jess and Jen said…
Adrianne, you've gotta get some girls. I know someone with three of 'em...

FYI, I deny anything having to do with syrup. -Jess
CLAMES said…
How funny! It's great that you are recording this all!
Lisa said…
Oh boy, I understand. My kids are always into stuff, but some of your stories definitely top mine. Hopefully, if you didn't laugh about it at the time, you'll at least laugh about it later!
Zach and Nikki said…
Oh, how naive I am, and here I thought that having kids close together in age would be a blessing because they would keep each other entertained. I suppose they do that very well- but that appears to be the problem.

Popular Posts