The good and the bad

People have been wondering how we've been doing, so here's the good and the bad of it.


Bad: That was hands down the worst labor for me so far, although the fastest. I'm not sure everyone really cares about all the labor details so I won't write about it but I will say that there were two repeat thoughts I kept having during the experience: "I'm not going to get the IV in time!" and "I'm not going to get the epidural in time."


Good: I did get the epidural in time and it was the best one I've had so far...I was could wiggle my toes and was able to get out of bed within an hour. It was wonderful. While the worst labor, it seems to be my quickest recovery so far.

Bad: We got home Thursday and Mike had to go into work on Friday. Eli has some jaundice from a bruise on his head, a result of the two hours of pushing. I had to take him in to have his levels checked out yesterday and then take him straight to the doctor. So, our first day home was also the first day on my own with three children and I had to get us all out of the door and to the doctor by 9:45.

Good: If Mike had been home yesterday I would've taken only Eli with me to get his levels checked. Instead, I took all three boys and they did a great job until the end when Isaac decided he was done being happy and threw himself on the foor screaming in the doctors office. The doctor at first thought his behavior was a result of the new baby but when he continued and I told her he had a cold she said, "I think I need to check his ears." Sure enough, he has an earache. So, it turned out to be a blessing that I had all three boys with me at the doctor. I am so thankful to have such a great pediatrician. When we were leaving her nurse picked up the carseat while I held Isaac and Will followed behind. She walked all the way to the van with me so I could get us all there.
Bad: Not only is Isaac sick, but everyone else except Eli and I are sick.
Good: Mike goes to work on Fridays and gets to stay home Monday through Thursday for the next two weeks and then Grandma Richards comes for a week.
Good: I am fifteen pounds lighter now than I was when I walked out of the hospital with Isaac. That is so exciting for me because it just means I have that much less to try and lose this time around.

Comments

Rachel said…
Well, it sounds like the good outweigh the bad. I'm glad things are going reasonably well and you are recovering quickly. If our baby doesn't come before Monday, I will be induced. Yeah! I'm glad you'll have some help soon. Take care!
Jess and Jen said…
Hey, how did Mike wrangle the M-Th off? That's great! -Jess
Jess and Jason said…
I am glad that you are all adjusting. There will always be good and bad, as long as you are sure to find the good, you will be fine!

I love the pictures of the older brothers looking at the baby.
Pitcher Family said…
It always amaazes me that after such a life altering experience, like pushing another being out of your body, we have to get up 2 days later and get back to life. But we do it and it sounds like you survived so far! Good for you.
I can't believe you are already weighing yourself! I would say you are nuts, but I do the same thing.
That is great that Mike is home with you. Enjoy the time together and get lots of rest while he is home.
Steff said…
Adrianne, you are a such a trooper! Eli is so adorable. How do the big brothers like him? Hooray for weighing less after your 3rd pregnancy! Hooray for the good outweighing the bad! Congrats on the newest member of the Richards Fam.
Rachel, The good definitely outweight the bad. We are doing really well so far and I luckily haven't had any baby blues so far. I am so excited for you to have your baby! Are you getting induced on Monday then? Good luck.

Jess, Mike has been saving up days at work since he found out I was pregnant. If he takes the entire week off, they make him count Sat. and Sun. as leave too so if he goes in on Fridays he can have his full three weeks.

Jessie, we are adjusting well. I know it is going to be harder in a few weeks when everyone is gone and I'm left alone and he starts waking up a bit more. But for now, I'm just going to take it one day at a time and Mike is such a good help.

Mandy, I am weighing myself but haven't started doing anything to lose weight yet. I am going to hold off on that for awhile. I don't want to be so consumed with it this time around.
Lisa said…
Adrianne, you are awesome. Both my babies have had jaundice, and I know how annoying it is to have to go back for blood tests, but I've never had to do it by myself with two kids in tow. It sounds like your recovery is going well, and that's great that you've already lost 15 lbs.
Team Clark said…
Sounds like you're hanging in there - and you're doing fabulous!
Keep smiling and laughing!
Amy
Marcy said…
Great update. I'm glad that Mike can take time off work. Sorry everyone's sick.
Frances said…
Oh Congratulations Adrianne! I wish I was there to help!
Jillian said…
Congratulations on an adorable baby! We're really happy for you. We're also glad that Mike will be able to be around most of the time. Sleep (some) is so very important! You're such a strong woman!
Emily said…
Congrats Adrianne!
Good luck with the next couple of weeks, just take one day at a time. I'm glad your baby is here and healthy! Emily
Congratulations on your baby, Adrianne! Take it easy and lean on all the help coming your way.

Great post -- enjoyed the good and the bad. (well, not the bad, but, you know, the contrast.)

I'm hoping to space my next one out quite a bit more than the first three I have. I regret not having the wisdom/ability to just enjoy my first, and then the inability/busyness of not being able to enjoy the next two because the older one(s) needed attention.

Point -- enjoy the baby as much as possible.
Thanks everyone. We are all doing great.

Popular Posts