Friends and family make all the difference

Mike is gone for three weeks--most of you know that already. Anyway, I have almost finished one week by myself. Last night I was thinking about how lucky I am to have such great friends and family. I sometimes have a hard time accepting help from people so Mike told me before he left that I really needed to be open to help. I have taken his advice and it has been such a blessing. Here are some examples:

1-My brother Jess called me last night and we talked for two hours. I love talking to him. He is so funny and friendly and down to earth. I really love how he and his wife make such an effort to keep in contact. I especially love how easy going he is. We Clark's aren't exactly known for our easy going personalities. He might be the only one of us that is able to take life so calmly and is definitely a peacemaker in our large family. I'm very grateful for his phone call.

2-I went to get the mail last night at 10:00 and there was a package from my sister! She told me she was sending me something she found that she thought was perfect for me. She was right! She sent me two Christmas ornaments. They are red and green bells with polka dots and a bow at the top. I don't have the camera because Mike took it with him or I'd take a picture of it so you could all see how cute they are. A few years ago she gave me two white star ornaments with red polka dots. They are my favorite and now I have the two bells. She is so good at picking presents for people. Chelsey is also the person that calls me the most frequently. If it weren't for her I'd have a lonely existence. Thanks for the calls Chelsey!

3-My mother-in-law called me from the airport in L.A. (?). I think that is where she called. She called to see how I was doing without Mike. Just as she called I was getting Will and his wet bottom out of the van after dragging him kicking and screaming from the library. She listened to my woes and then gave me advice about how to catch the mouse in our house (a different one than the last one and this one is smart!). She said when she comes she'll get it for me. I hope it's gone by then but if not, it's all hers. I really appreciated that she would call me from the airport to check on me.

4-My friend Kaly invited me and the boys to come for a play date. She also offered to watch the boys when I go to my doctors appointment on Tuesday.

5-I called my friend Ali to see if I could watch Talon while she and James went on a date. She invited us to dinner. I thought we would have dinner and then she would leave and I'd watch Talon. But they never left! So somehow I weasled a delicious dinner out of her and they didn't even get their date. Ali is always so generous and I hope I can learn to be like her and serve so freely.

6-When visiting teaching, my visiting teachee invited the boys and I to dinner tonight. She also invited us to go see the lights with them when they go. We are definitely eating well while Mike is gone.

These are just a few examples of the service people have performed for us in the last week. I am so lucky to have such good friends and a wonderful family.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Sounds like you've got a few hookups. Glad to hear people are looking out for you. -Jess
Cali said…
I'm glad that you have such great friends out there. Wish we were closer and could have you over as well--it's NO FUN to be alone. (Especially at the end of the day when bed-time for the kids comes and takes so much more energy to stay happy because you haven't had any help all day.) We are thinking of you, and hope that you are well. And, you are welcome to our home ANY time--I'm just not quite sure how to get you here!
Frances said…
Why is Mike gone for so long? You're one tough chickie!
He is on TDY with some planes that are deployed. He sits around for 10-12 hours a day answering questions and reading his scriptures. There isn't much else for him to do right now.

Popular Posts