Christmas stuff

We did a lot of fun things at Christmas as a family. I loved when we used to get a real tree and we'd go choose it out together. My mom used to boil cinnamon sticks on the stove so the house smelled like cinnamon. I love that smell. We always made gingerbread houses and went caroling. We'd all stand around the piano and sing harmony. We did the 12 months of Christmas one year and we ALWAYS have pizza Christmas day. My mom usually makes a breakfast of waffles with strawberries with cool whip on top. So yummy.

Now that I have kids, Christmas is so much more fun for me. I like everything about it. We don't spend a lot of money on the kids. They are only getting about one gift from us (about $20) and then a movie to share and maybe one other toy to share (I haven't decided about that yet). They are going to buy each other a $5 book and I'm getting them new sheets. That's it. Of course they are little so presents don't always have to cost a lot to please them right now. Mike and I don't usually buy each other very many gifts either. Last year he bought me a die cutter and I love it. This year he is in Guam and is buying me very random gifts from there. He bought an MP3 player a month ago so he could download Chinese and practice while he exercises. We also need a new camera so we are not getting anything really extravagant for Christmas. We are mainly buying things for the house.

I just want Christmas to be a fun time. I have started letting the boys choose an ornament to decorate the tree. We make lots of Christmas crafts (snowflakes, Santas, reindeer headbands, etc). We are going to make treats to take to friends and when Mike gets home we are going to see the lights. We are also continuing our tradition of having the Christ-Centered Christmas dinner. Basically, we look for someone we think has been a good example of Christ throughout the year and invite them to dinner. We don't tell them until they come why we invited them and then give them a little gift and a letter that tells them why we think they are a great example of Christ. We hope as the boys get older they will be able to pick someone themselves to invite. I really want them to learn why we celebrate Christmas. Getting and giving gifts is special and fun but the fond memories I have from Christmas' past aren't the gifts but all the fun things we did as a family.

What do you guys do? What presents are you buying? What traditions do you have? What things do you like and dislike about Christmas?

Comments

Lokodi said…
My favorite thing aboug christmas in the past was the 12 months of christmas. I learned a very valuable lesson with that. I generally don't like christmas very much and I'm having a hard time getting in the right mood for it this year. I don't like all the pressure of getting the right gifts and such. It has turned into such a commercialized holiday that I hate it. I need to take your advice and focus more on what we can do as a family and starting our own traditions together. Now I just need to work on having my husband here for the holidays first. It's hard to start new traditions without him here. Maybe that's why I can't seem to get in a good christmas spirit this year. Help me!!

Lindsey
Frances said…
I love Christmas. I love all the traditions and family time together. We have a lot of fun food that comes out around Christmas time. Christmas morning we eat tea-ring. It's a yummy pastry that looks like a wreath. I love driving around at night looking at lights, delivering treats to friends, and the decorations and good smells in the house. I love how your mom would boil sticks, I should try that. I'm hoping that we can start our own family traditions that focus on Christ and help our girls enjoy this season.
Jess and Jen said…
I actually liked the caroling we did as a family to our neighbors when we were growing up (well, that growing up process is still underway).

Unlike my growing-up years, I put up Christmas lights on my house. I love to see the lights around the neighborhood and I love that we are part of that.

Popular Posts