Is it just me?

It seems like Christmas comes sooner and sooner every year. Our neighbors have their lights up and on already. The businesses around here all have their lights up too. I am not ready to celebrate Christmas yet. I think it is way too early. My sister however, would dispute that. Anyway, I'm excited to do fun things but it has to wait AT LEAST until after Thanksgiving. When that time comes I want to find a Nativity set. We have never had one and I really want one. Most of the Nativity sets I see I hate. They are all too ornate for my tastes. I really love the Willow Tree Nativity set though. It is much to expensive for me. I will have to buy a piece a year until the set is complete. In the mean time, I've been thinking about getting this. I'm not sure I want to pay that much money though. What do you think? I think my sister-in-law Mandy has this set. Do you like it Mandy? I love the idea of having nice set and then a play one the boys can play with.

On another note, after about 11 weeks of continuous sickness with six and a half of those weeks of being on an antibiotic, Isaac's ears are finally clear! Hooray!!! Will's should be clear in a few days. Sigh. I just want everyone to get better and stay healthy while Mike is gone.

And yet one more thing....my boys LOVE to help me cook. Most of the time I love it but sometimes it is really a pain. Isaac loves to help me flip things and scramble the eggs in the morning. He just gets a cute little grin on his face the whole time. The other night Will was playing outside and I went outside to see what was going on. He had opened our little grill and put a handful of leaves and a measuring tape inside. He said he was making "cookies" and that it was hot so I needed to be careful. Then the next night I was letting him play with play dough and I went in the kitchen to find him on a chair with a spatula and a pan on the stove. He had smooshed his play dough flat and was turning it over. He said, "I'm making eggs." Very cute. I'm just glad he doesn't know how to turn the stove on.
The boys cooking

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
I've been a pretty stringent "No Christmas until after Thanksgiving" person. However, I think I'm softening that stance. Two radio stations around here started playing Christmas music ON Halloween. I find myself tuning my radio to those stations more and more.

I also put up lights on my house a few Saturdays ago. It was mostly a function of the weather: it was 67 degrees two weeks ago and a perfect day to be on the roof. Much better than frozen fingers dealing with rough shingles.

I have only turned them on twice. I will wait until after Thanksgiving to keep them on.

Jess
Jess and Jen said…
I have to agree with Jess. Christmas (especially music) before thanksgiving usually makes me sick, but this year I just can't wait. Maybe it's just because I get so excited for the fun things to do with the kids...which is even more fun the older they get! I have been singing Christmas songs to the girls the last few nights at bedtime. I'm having a hard time waiting until Friday to decorate the house. Christmas is just so fun...why not make the season longer, right?

We have a precious moments nativity. It doesn't have as many pieces as the one you linked to, but it definitely is nice to have one that the kids can play with.

Jen
Marcy said…
Hi there,

I need to say amen. You are exactly where I was with the kids a couple years ago. Couldn't afford a nice nativity but also really wanted that little people one. It was out of stock that season. I ended up getting a $12 one at Seagull Book and it has been just fine with the girls--they haven't broken anything--and it satisfies my urge for a more refined one.

I hate Christmas music now. After Thanksgiving I'll listen to it all the time, but now I will not! Our grocery store a couple weeks ago looked just like Santa's little village (complete with Clausmas music) and I just wanted to barf. Let us enjoy Thanksgiving and then bring on the Christmas and snow stuff!
chelsey said…
I assume you're talking about me Adrianne! :) I do adore christmas! I say the earlier the better. Really, doesn't Thanksgiving and Christmas go together anyway? We have it all to be grateful for-- including His birth! I love christmas music because it's relaxing and CLEAN! The mood of the holidays is something I wish I could keep year round. The trick is not letting it become too commercialized. I do the simple things like getting out the nice hot chocolate mugs and lighting the xmas candles. It's all about the feeling of the holidays. That's why I love it so much! Just remember the reason for the season and wish for it all year!
Marcy said…
I feel bad for using the word "hate" yesterday in my comment. Like I could ever hate Christmas music! But as Chelsey said, the commercialization of Christmas is what is frustrating. I'd like to call a "no presents" Christmas some year.
Pitcher Family said…
WE have the little people nativity and my and I both love it! We got it for Christmas last year, and opened it early so they could play with it.

Popular Posts