We are busy little bees

Mike is helping some friends of ours flip a house. This is their second house and they did a really good job with the first one. It took them about two months to flip and it sold immediately. Mike thought it would be a good idea to learn how to do some of the stuff. He wasn't really interested in learning how to "flip" a house, just learn how to do some of the remodeling. On Saturday they put up a wall and last night they tore out some tile and demolished a bathroom. I guess the guy is trying to encourage Mike to flip a house of his own--that is scary to me. I think the thing that scares me about it the most is that you can never be certain if something will sell quickly or not.

I've been working on our program. We had our first practice on Sunday and it went pretty well. Our Primary is very small so it's nothing too involved. In other Primary news, I was the subject of discussion in the bishopric meeting on Sunday. After the issue with the mean teacher, I met with the bishop to suggest some names for a replacement. He looked at me in confusion and said, "Don't you just have Primary workers running around up there that you can use to put in that spot?" Right. Um, no. I'm not sure where that idea came from. At that point, I printed out a list of all the positions the stake thinks we need in the Primary and all the positions we have covered and not covered. That hopefully cleared up the misconception that I have little workers running around waiting to do what I need them to do.

Anyway, he told me he'd look at the names and find someone for me. He came and found me about ten minutes later and told me to think about this one lady in our ward. I was surprised with the name he told me because this lady is a bit boisterous to put it nicely. She is a rather big lady who wears shirts that are much too small and doesn't seem to notice that her belly is showing. Mike says she is immature and immodest. Anyway, I thought that if the bishop was suggesting her name that he obviously saw something in her that we didn't and that I should have faith in his suggestion. But, he also didn't tell me I had to have her in that position. He just told me to think about it.

So, I did and I decided to ask his a question and see how he responded. He has a daughter in Primary. He and his wife are very involved in everything she does. So, I asked him, "Bishop, I wanted to know how you would feel if Sister so and so taught Mariah?" He looked at me and burst out laughing and then told me I was mean. I then said, "I'm not trying to be mean. I wanted to know what you thought of her teaching your child and your laughing answers my question. I think that I can't expect the parents to be comfortable with this decision if you aren't comfortable with it yourself." I also told him we had asked her to sub for a few weeks so we could see how things went and then we would get back to him and let him know what we thought.

He told Mike I was evil and Mike laughed his head off when he found out and told me I knew how to play hardball. I feel a little bad because I honestly wasn't trying to be mean. I just needed to know how he felt about things. If he felt she was someone that should teach that class I would take her in an instant and not question his suggestion. I truly believe in the inspiration Bishop's receive. I hope (and Mike says he doesn't think this is the case) that the Bishop didn't feel I was questioning his direction or that I wasn't sustaining him. But I also feel like I need to feel good about the people I have in the organization I am over.

Anyway, I guess in their bishopric meeting they all thought it was hilarious. I guess there is someone they have to talk to or something like that and the first counselor said, "It's too bad Adrianne isn't here or we could send her to do the dirty work." I guess my question was effective because that Sunday they told me they thought of someone for the class and would ask her this week to teach the class.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Oh, how much fun it sounds like you have in your ward with this calling. I think it's probably a really good thing that you are somewhat represented in those meetings by your husband. Good luck in your efforts!

I would love to flip houses, but I would want someone bankrolling the operation. I'd be happy to do much of the remodeling work, but, like you, am a little nervous of the risks involved.
Lisa said…
I don't think it's possible to have all of the primary positions filled all at once, and I think all bishops have NO IDEA how hard it is to run a primary. Our primaries sound exactly the same!
Papa Doc said…
So you are mean, and all this time I thought you were just my sweetie. Oh well.

Remember that the Bishop has to delegate the "study it out in your mind" part of the job because of the mass of work there is. He still has the key, but you have a resposability to help him see the ramifacations of ideas that are not yet decided. So as good job is doing what you did.

Dad Clark
Papa Doc said…
I'm glad you are taking your responsiblity seriously and expecting to have some inspiration for the callings you need to fill. No one wants to feel that they are "desperation" rather than "inspiration" and sometimes I think some leaders feel like anybody can do the job. And most people could -- it's like someone believing that there is a one and only just for them --for some that's true, but for most I think we could be happy with more than one kind of person for eternity. People can serve capably in many positions but maybe one would be better than the others. I always felt that filling positions in church organizations was the hardest part of a president's responsibility. It doesn't help if the bishopric can't see your point of view.
Good for you, Adrianne. I don't think you are mean at all. I believe you are fulfilling your calling just the way you are supposed to do.
Zach and Nikki said…
Adrianne you are so refreshing! That's why you're the primary president- way to go!

Popular Posts