Reason #3

Mike is a great father. The boys love him. When they hear the door start to open when he gets home from work, they both run to the door. When Will wakes up every morning he says, "Where daddy? Daddy at work? When daddy come home?" When Isaac wakes up he will go to the bathroom and call "Da, Da" to see if Mike is in the bathroom.

Mike is really good about letting the boys help him with things. Tonight Mike helped me clean the house. He started on the bathroom while I helped Will clean his room. Something that is awesome about Mike is that when he cleans, he goes all the way. When Will finished cleaning his room Mike was scrubbing the bathroom floor on hands and knees and Will wanted to help him. Mike got him a washcloth and showed him how to scrub the floor. Mike is so patient when it comes to things like that. He lets the boys come in the garage with him while he does woodworking and lets Will help with the mowing. I posted these pictures on my family's blog the other day but think it is appropriate to post it here too. The boys love to pretend to be him. Another great thing Mike does with the boys is take them places on Saturdays. He likes to have father/son time with them. It's a really nice break for me.

Mike is also good at helping with the parenting responsibilities. When he comes home he usually takes the boys into the room with him while he changes and then plays with them while I cook dinner. He easily changes half of the diapers when he gets home. Some of my friends have rules with their husbands, "I changed the last one, it's your turn now." I've never had a rule like that with Mike. I've never had to have a rule like that. If I am busy he does it. If he is busy I do it. It would totally annoy him if I said, "It's your turn." He also puts the boys to bed at least half the time. He sings to them, changes their clothes, reads them books, and says their prayers. I also don't have to ask him to do that.

Mike is pretty strict with the boys. When Will is in trouble I make him stand in the corner. As long as he is in the corner I'm fine but Mike makes him stick his nose in the corner. Will HATES it. While in some cases Mike is more strict than I am, I'm so grateful that he takes a very active part in disciplining them. Something Mike learned from his dad that he is teaching the boys is to always say thank you after a meal to me (or whoever cooked the meal). He makes Will say, "May I please have some....." I don't even think of doing that. I think our boys will be very polite children and it will be all Mike's doing.

I hope some day our boys will realize what an awesome father they have and that they appreciate the time he spends with them.

Comments

these are great posts, Adrianne!

(you make me feel bad; guess i should be feeling the appreciative thing more often). :)
Thanks Shannon. You shouldn't feel bad; I have read similar posts on your blog about your husband. Mike and I aren't very good about getting each other gifts for our anniversary so I thought this might be fun.

Popular Posts