Makes me Smile Monday



These are some of my favorite pictures that Minerva Teichert painted. Minerva Teichert was my great grandmother. I love her paintings and wish that I had enough money to buy one of her prints. The other picture is by Carl Bloch. My parents bought this print for me for my birthday and my dad made a frame for it. I love it and have such good memories of going to the art museum at BYU and sitting on the bench in front of it and just staring at it. I always felt so much peace sitting there.
I think there are a lot of ways to show art. My brother Adam is really talented at gardening. I loved going to his backyard and seeing his container garden. It was beautiful. He has started a blog that is dedicated just to container gardening. Check it out by visiting http://gardenbugs.blogspot.com/ .
My sisters Kaitlin and Gillian have danced their whole lives. They are extremely talented at what they do. I have always sat in awe when I watch them dance. That is art!
My brothers (Lance, Jess, Adam) play the guitar. They can sit down and play any song they hear after only hearing it once! I especially love hearing Lance play "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead. That is art too.
My husband and my dad make some awesome wood projects. Mike has made beautiful shelves for decoration as well as some plain decorative ones. He has also made a corner table and a cradle. My dad has worked with wood projects as long as I can remember. He made a piano bench, a cradle, frames, and table benches, just to name a few. He also made the loft for his pigeons. That is also art in my mind.
I could go on about all the different kinds of art in the world. I think that we sometimes take art for granted. I think if you really open your eyes you will see art all around you. I have always felt closer to the spirit and God when I see or hear some form of art. Now go make some!
To participate in Makes me Smile Monday visit Shannon's site http://www.whataboutmomblog.com/2007/06/10/makes-me-smile-monday-art

Comments

Marcy said…
I love how you talk about different kinds of art and about people's strengths and talents!
Jess and Jen said…
You give me way too much guitar talent. I can play songs I have music for...and ones that are easy. I have no magic ear!

I do love to play that thing, though.
Jess and Jen said…
Oh, and we have the Christ in the Red Robe print in our house now. Jen got it as a gift recently. It's a very nice picture.
I'm jealous that you have that picture. They are expensive.
shannon said…
just have to add -- a well potty-trained child is a work of art!

i think scents can also be art. the scent of my baby's milky breath and her hair right after a bath (thanks to johnson's baby shampoo).

and children of any age sleeping are ART!! (esp after a hard day.)
Mmmm. I love that smell too.
Frances said…
We just went to a Christ exhibit at the BYU museum and there were so many of your G.Grandma's prints. I told my sister-in-law I had a friend who was related...I was so proud I knew you! We bought a small poster print of the Christ in the red robe. They had prints done on canvas that looked much better, we just didn't have the money!

Popular Posts