Makes Me Smile Monday: Memorial Day



I have never been very patriotic. The idea that we are protected by the military seemed like such a vague concept. I didn't know anyone in the military. I wish I could say that when Mike joined the Air Force I suddenly became patriotic. That didn't really happen. But there have been a few experiences that I've had that have made me feel really proud to be a part of this country.


My first experience of feeling really patriotic was when Mike graduated from Officer Training School. I went to Alabama to see him graduate and they had a parade where all the officers had to march. It was a really cool thing to see. I felt really proud to have Mike graduate as one of the top five of his class and to see him march by in his Blues.


The second experience was when we moved into our house. The owners before us paid to have a flag placed in the yard every Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc. When we moved in the flags were still being put up. I remember the first time they put the flag up in the yard and reflecting on what that flag represented.


Neither of these experiences are that moving or memorable but I view it in kind of the same way that I view my testimony. Your testimony of something usually doesn't grow because of some big experience but by an accumulation of little ones. My patriotism grows each time I see the flag or think about the fact that Mike's knowledge of engineering is making our troops safer. I am proud of both of my brother-in-laws that are serving in the Army and our prayers are with Hans each time he is sent to Iraq and we hope that Andy won't have to go. I am proud of my father-in-law and his thirty years of service in the Army and now as a civilian worker on an Army base.


My final thought about patriotism and the importance of remembering those that have fought for our country is that even if you don't agree with some of the decisions that our government is making, I hope you remember that men are fighting for your freedoms and dying so you can live the way you do and believe the things you believe. I am frustrated by those people that say they won't vote because they hate what the government does. I say to them, if you don't vote you have no right to complain about our country. It is your right and responsibility to vote and make sure that your family and your rights are protected.

Comments

Marcy said…
I'm just barely putting this all together now, Adrianne. Brad joined the Air Force and is going to do his training in Alabama--leaving tomorrow. So now I'll have someone close in the Air Force too. His major was Mechanical Engineering but he's on his way to medical school.
Oh man. I feel bad for him. Mike hated OTS. I hated it too because I had to be without him for three and a half months with my new three month old baby. He said mainly the first six weeks are the hardest though. Mike went into Mechanical Engineering too and thought about doing med school or being a lawyer but when it came down to it, he just likes engineering.
shannon said…
Hi Adrianne,

just wanted to say i agree on the simples components of our testimonies, and our character. there have been a couple (okay, maybe 5 inc. kids' births) big events in my life, but it is in the day to day that we discover and show who we are.

thanks for your thoughts!

Popular Posts