Up at the crack of dawn continued...

Mike and I had a long talk about my last sleeping post. He thought that it sounded as if I was trying to say that I am a better parent than someone who doesn't have their child nap, or lets them sleep in their bed, etc. So I thought perhaps I should clarify.

In my BYU classes we always talked about something called, "The goodness of fit." Basically it just means that parents change their parenting styles to fit the temperment of their child. So, if you are calm but your child has a difficult temperment, you have to change your approach to the child or you will have a problem on your hands. It's pretty obvious, really.

So, as far as sleeping in our house goes, we do what we do because it fits us and our boys. Not everything I do with Will works for Isaac and I have to make adjustments to fit Isaac's personality. Just because something works for us and I believe in it, doesn't mean I think anyone else is less a mother than me. Oh my gosh...I am not a perfect mother, so far from it!

Comments

I think you are the perfect mom, I just don't want you bragging about it. :)

Mike
Jess and Jen said…
I think we understand where you're coming from.

We agree with you on your points. Our girls, once they get to be a few months old, move into their own rooms and never return to ours!

Jess
Jess and Jason said…
We made the mistake of having Austin in our room, one we never repeated.
I think that you are right...each child is different...you learn that more and more the older they get.
None of us are perfect, but we all try, and I think you are a great mom!

Popular Posts