Mike's First Time Making Cheese



Well, it's really my second- but the first didn't count because it didn't work, and all I did was hang some yogurt in a bag overnight. I'm making feta here. I was way excited to find out that I can use the by-products of regular cheese making to make brunost, "brown cheese" in english. So, at this moment I am boiling the crud out of the left over whey. It will get thicker as the water leaves and the left-over sugars begin to carmalize. Then, I can add some cream and pour the stuff into a mold like creepy fudge, and it will turn into brown cheese. Pretty exciting, eh? The first picture here is right after cutting the cheese. I'd already spent more than two hours making this stuff at that point. The second is stirring the curds and whey. Fun, eh?

Comments

Popular Posts