Well.
Well. I'm not sure what to say. I went in for my root canal today thinking I was getting a root canal and leaving with pretty awful news. Apparently, I have four cracked teeth (four more that look bad but aren't cracked yet) and 8 teeth need crowns. The endodontist said he was kind of on the fence about just extracting the tooth because he said it would be really difficult to do correctly and he wasn't even sure he could do it. He said if it was him, and money wasn't an issue, he'd want to try and save the tooth so we decided to have him try to do the root canal anyway. I told him I'd pray for him and it would go awesome. After, I asked how it went and he said he wasn't feeling so good about it. He said he couldn't get to one of the roots because the tooth has started to calcify. I know what calcify means but don't actually know what that means in this case. All I know is that he couldn't do the root canal completely. He said we just have to give it time to see if it was good enough but he won't be surprised when we have to just pull it out. However, the molar on the top that is showing no pain is apparently in worse shape so he thinks I'll end up with both teeth extracted and then I'll have no molars on that side and he also added that an implant wouldn't really help in my case because apparently, I'd just ruin it the same way I ruined my actual teeth. How did I crack all my teeth? I don't actually know. My best guess is because I clench my teeth all the time. Mostly while I'm sleeping. I have a mouth guard made for me for that purpose but I wake up every night having to pry my teeth from the hard plastic. I have never had teeth issues. I mean, I rarely have cavities. I have always felt kind of proud of my good teeth that have never given me issues. They may be the only part of my body so far that hasn't given me issues.
It probably sounds really dramatic but his news was a shock to me and also really devastating. I keep thinking about the amount of money we are going to have to sink into these teeth through multiple root canals and crowns and I feel sick to my stomach. Plus the pain. After sobbing to Mike on the phone, he set up an appointment for me with a prosthodontist to see if he can come up with a thorough plan for restoring my damaged teeth.
What a stupid, stupid week this week has been.
I actually just feel like someone has set up cameras somewhere and I'm going to find out that I'm being pranked. This is all getting to be really ridiculous.


Comments