My favorites about Japan

 I promised a post about my favorite things about Japan so here it is with a list of things in no particular order:

As most people probably already know, Japan is incredibly clean.  The subways, buses, roads and alleyways are all free from trash.  It is rare to find random trash in a gutter or flying across a playground.  

The subways and buses are very quiet.  People don't talk loudly (or at all) while using public transportation.  People also don't talk on their phones while in public.  

The electric toilets with bidet functions, especially the ones with the heated seats.

Rest stops that are clean with shops, restaurants, gas stations, and fancy restrooms.

Public restrooms are sparkling clean and often very fancy.  

Drivers are very patient with very little honking.

The tiny dogs, or Inu, that are small enough to fit in bags.  I think there are more strollers with dogs in them than actual children.  The dogs are friendly and well behaved with very little barking.  

The Apple juice and Orange Juice they sell here are much better than the ones we find in America.  They taste like fresh squeezed juice, not like water with a little fruit flavor.

The spicy Ginger ale.  The Japanese like tea, Coke, and Ginger ale.  

I also like their appreciation for Grapefruit Juice and grapefruit flavored sorbet.  You can buy little packets of grapefruit flavored frozen sorbet balls at 7/11--the perfect little cold treat on a hot, humid summer day.

The timeliness of their public transportation system.  If the bus or subway says it is delayed, it means that the bus or subway will be there in a minute or two.  I've waited for a train before that said it was significantly delayed only to have the train show up two minutes later.  

Japan has beautiful gardens.

The Orange Osmanthus bushes that have a citrusy smell.  It was such a delightful surprise to walk down the road in September and see these tiny little orange flowers that smelled so good.  

Since we are talking about gardens and flowers, I appreciate how there is something blooming in Japan all year round.  Each season has something in bloom .  Even in winter when the leaves fall, there are still bushes all over with pretty red flowers.  In the fall, the city is bright yellow with the Ginko trees changing colors, and soon, Japan will be full of Sakura (cheery blossoms).  Already, the plum blossoms are blooming.

I love the delicious bakeries all over the city.  I am sure you can find random bakeries to stop at in all major cities but I've never lived in a city like this and it is wonderful to walk into a bakery and grab some bread for dinner.  It also makes my long walk to the doctor more enjoyable since I know that I can grab a treat if I want on the way home.  There are at least two bakeries on my way.  

I like that I don't have to drive anywhere to get my milk.  I can just walk a few feet to the 7/11 next to my apartment.  

Along with that, it is really nice to have a grocery store and 7/11 just feet away.  There is also another small grocery store a few blocks away in walking distance, which is nice.

The temples and shrines are magnificent.  Even though they often look the same from one to the next, I haven't gotten tired of them.  They are beautiful and peaceful.

The police cars and ambulances say, "Arigotogozimas" or "thank you" over their loud speakers when they rush by.  It is funny and endearing to me that while people should just get out of the way and let them by, they still feel that they need to say "thank you."  It is just another example of the politeness of their culture.

Cotton candy here is 1,000 times better than any I've ever tried in the states.  I don't like cotton candy in general, but I could get behind the cotton candy in Japan.  

They sell amazingly delicious crepes with the yummiest combinations.

Tonkatsu pork is so good.  I am also not a huge pork fan but the Tonkatsu pork they make is delicious.  Along with that, the Bulldog sauce they use as dipping sauce is good on just about any meat.  So yummy and I hope I can find it in the states or I might have to ship a bunch home.  I also like how your Tonkatsu dish comes with a shredded cabbage side with a yummy vinaigrette.  

Japan is so safe.  I can send my kids to their friend's house by themselves and not worry about their safety.  I also never feel scared when I am outside by myself at night.  

The people take their personal appearance seriously.  I don't need that kind of pressure for myself but I appreciate how clean and well dressed they are.  

I think this is a pretty good list.  I know that as soon as I end this post, I'll think of at least a handful of more things I love but this is a good start for now.  


Comments

Popular Posts