Merry Christmas

When I was walking Felicity to ballet yesterday I noticed that I was feeling a little down.  I'm homesick and even though it has been many years since we've been able to spend Christmas with family, I still miss the idea of it.  As I started to recognize the feelings the thought came to me, "Just let it be what it is."  So I did.  I thought about how the weather was nice enough to walk to ballet.  I appreciated the window displays and Christmas lights on the way.  I enjoyed holding Piper and Felicity's hands and took the chance to sneak a peek at the adorable puppies in the pet store before heading back home.  I smiled thinking about Mike and the boys watching The Lord of the Rings movies and listened with interest as Piper told me about the twist in the movie The Princess Switch and how, even though it was confusing, it might be better than the first movie, in her opinion.  I was touched that Felicity's Japanese ballet teacher wrote her a sweet Christmas note and said she wanted to get Felicity a candy cane but couldn't find any in Tokyo.  I thought it was really sweet that she would think about (and look for) something that would make Felicity happy in an unfamiliar country.  I enjoyed the beautiful wrapping paper I found in Japan and appreciated Mike helping me wrap/box the final gifts.  I felt happy to open the package from Mike's sister Jessie with a crocheted donkey to add to our other crocheted pieces (she sends a new piece each year) and laughed when the boys named him, "Ruffus" and felt grateful that we have an APO box so that we can receive mail from people in the states.  My appreciation for access to the commissary was once again noted when we sat down to dinner and when we filled stockings with treats the kids like.  I also looked forward to the kids trying the Japanese treats we found to add to their American treats.  I felt grateful to the family in our ward that took the time to find our apartment and brought us goodie bags (it's a lot of work to drop things off to someone--no parking and you have to call up and wait to be let in).  It was nice to be thought of.  I liked opening our apartment door in the morning and finding some treats and a card on our doorstep from our Japanese neighbors next door and for the Chocolates our American neighbors below us brought to us.  I felt especially thankful for kids who are grateful for what they receive, even if they only get one or two gifts.  

Christmas, like all the other holidays we have celebrated here so far, is not like what we are used to in the states but I feel thankful for what it is and for why we celebrate.  On Christmas Eve, we open our little box with our letters to Jesus and read what we decided to give Him the previous Christmas Eve and then we write new letters.  Ironically, last Christmas Eve I wrote that I wanted to give as a gift, acceptance and grace towards people and things--that I would try to just let people and circumstances BE--just let them BE whatever they are.  I found it very interesting that the thought that came to me multiple times yesterday was to just "let it be what it is."  People and things aren't always what we hope.  I am not always what I hope to be and my circumstances often look different than I hope but I think maybe I am getting better at just letting them BE and working with what it IS.  




















Comments

Popular Posts