Thanksgiving break

The boys got their way.  I went to set up the tree on Thanksgiving only to discover that our pre-lit tree was only partly lit.  We had to find a strand of lights on Amazon so it wasn't until after Thanksgiving that the tree went up.  I bet the boys purposely damaged the lights before the tree got boxed up last year so that I wouldn't be able to put the tree up until after Thanksgiving.  We only brought our small tree to Tokyo.  Our larger tree is the one we put all the family ornaments on but I didn't think we would have room for that tree and all those ornaments.  We actually left the majority of our Christmas decorations behind.  

The Kit Kat factory wasn't really a factory.  It ended up being a store in a mall.  We would have paid $22 per person to make our own Kit Kat but didn't think that was worth it.  We did buy some waffle Kit Kat ice cream thing that the kids all shared and then bought different flavors to try at home.  They have flavors like Wasabi, Blueberry, and Strawberry.  It had been raining most of the day but the rain let up for long enough for us to walk the half hour to the store but by the time we walked home it was pouring rain.  We had umbrellas but in that kind of rain, the umbrellas didn't help much.  We were sopping wet when we got home.  

We also went to TeamLab Borderless, a really cool museum.  We stayed for about three hours and everyone enjoyed it, even though the teens weren't sure at first that they would be happy going to a museum.  They had a Wendy's on the boardwalk outside of the museum so the kids were doubly happy to end the day with burgers and fries.  

On Thursday, Thanksgiving, the three boys all had a doctor's appointment for various things.  The doctor's office is directly across from the Tokyo Tower, a 35 min walk from the house.  We left at 10:20 and after appointments, flu shots, some blood tests, and the pharmacy, we finally got home at 1:20.  The boys liked seeing the Tokyo Tower up close and so far, nothing seems serious.  Hopefully the antibiotics they were given will do the trick.  No one is sick but each of them have something going on that needs attention.  

The trip to the doctor took a large part of our day and it didn't really feel much like Thanksgiving.  Mike stayed behind to make ribs and a turkey breast and I had made pies and rolls the day before.  We made potatoes and sweet potato soufle along with a salad and veggie platter.  It was a good dinner and a nice visit with our Japanese-American friends.  Felicity and Claire played all night long.  I felt so thankful for choosing to go to that particular park on the same day Claire and Hiromi were there and that we met and became friends.  Felicity needed a friend so badly and while I don't know here well yet, Hiromi, is so kind and accepting.  I was a little nervous to invite them over for Thanksgiving since our interactions have been through Whatsapp and three park but I felt like I should invite them.  It wasn't our traditional Thanksgiving and felt a little weird not to be near family and to spend it with friends we only just met, but it was nice all the same.  I felt thankful for the commissary that allowed us to purchase foods to make a thanksgiving meal, for beautiful weather, for help from Mike in the kitchen, and for building friendships in a country where most people don't speak our language.  

The following day we were supposed to head to Enoshima Island and I was really looking forward to it.  I tried to convince Mike to keep our plans for the day but he decided it wouldn't be a good idea since my back hurt just by walking the boys to an from the doctor.  I told him I'd take a bunch of medicine and no one would even know when my back was hurting but he decided we should go another time.  Obviously I understand.  If his back was still damaged, I'd cancel too, but I was really bummed.  I don't know when we will get a chance to go again, especially before the weather is too hot and muggy for us to enjoy it.  I appreciate that he considers me and wants to make me comfortable.  Even so, I hate that my body is damaged right now and hindering us from enjoying Japan.  We have such a small time here to see things and with the kids in school now, we don't have the same opportunities to just pick up and go like we had previously.  

We didn't get to see and do all I had hoped for this break but it was still nice.  We all slept in and had some good quality time together.  The kids went back to school today and we were all sad about it.  I can't wait until Christmas break!  I took a lot of photos and I'll have to share them in separate posts.  













Comments

Popular Posts