Knoxville

It's been two years since Mike and I have gotten away for a trip together--not since the cruise after his deployment.  I really needed a trip after this year.  We planned our trip to Knoxville before my surgery and I wasn't sure how recovery was going to go but thankfully, I was well enough to go.  Since Will does not have his license I was nervous about leaving him alone with the kids.  Will is a really responsible kid and with Isaac and Eli being so close to him in age, I think they would have been fine, but didn't want to take chances.  We asked their friend Ammon, an 18-year old, to come and stay with them at night.  He popped in and out between work and hung out with them at night.  I think the kids had a really good time with us gone.  We made sure the fridge was stocked and checked in each day.  They were perfectly fine and even held home church, did scriptures together each night, helped Piper with her Math schoolwork, and did the nightly clean up routine.  

We left super early in the morning and flew to Nashville. There was a lot of waiting in line at both the airport and car rental place.  We drove three hours to Knoxville, dropped off our stuff and changed, and then headed to a wedding reception for our friend's daughter.  It was such a good evening seeing friends again.  I really wanted to make it to Knoxville and see friends again before the move.  My Knoxville friends came to Florida to see me and have stayed in touch since we moved and I really wanted to put forth an effort to see them and say goodbye.  It felt so good to be back, like coming home.  The next day we went on a hike in the Smokies.  We have been on lots of hikes in the TN part of the Smokies but never in the NC part so this time we drove to NC and found the most beautiful hike.  We only planned a three mile hike but never saw the end of the hike so we just kept going.  I think we hiked for five hours or something crazy like that.  It was magical and didn't feel like it was that long.  I have been having hip problems from scoliosis so by the time we got back to the car I was in a lot of pain, walking funny.  We decided that since we had nothing to be back to the hotel for and no kids to whine, we would drive to Ashville.  I've always wanted to go to Ashville and it was such a cute town.  We found parking and walked to a cute little restaurant where we people watched.  I did not enjoy my meal but Mike's was good and since we usually try to find two meals we would both like to try and share, we had plenty of food.  We walked around town and then found an ice cream shop and then headed back to the hotel.  

The next morning we got up and checked out of the hotel and drove to church.  We ended up being a little early so we drove around our old neighborhood first and then we drove to church.  It was our first week back at in-person church and it was weird.  After church we went to our good friends' house and changed and then drove down the road to another good friend's land that they just purchased.  We got a tour of their land and it was so beautiful.  I felt kind of jealous that two of my favorite people live on land right next to each other.  I kind of wish I had a piece of land right next door and the three of us could sit on one of our porches and drink lemonade and listen to the cicadas.  The cicadas!  So crazy.  It sounded like an alarm, they were so loud this year.  

We went back to the Cruze's house and had dinner and sat and chatted like old times and it made my heart so happy.  We love them so much and miss them.  I love having friends that can pick up right where things left off like there was never any time away.  

We had a three hour drive back to Nashville that night so we left around 6:30.  The hotel in Nashville was actually kind of gross.  I live in Denver, I smell a lot of weed, but I can honestly say that I've never smelled that much before.  It was like everyone was smoking it in the entire building.  

The next morning we woke up early so we could return the car and get to the airport.  The flight went smoothly and we were home by 2.  I am so glad we had this quick trip together.  I wish we had more time.  I love spending time with Mike and don't ever get tired of him.  I don't know when we will get a chance to escape again but I'm really glad we decided to go.  
















 

Comments

Popular Posts