Tokyo

 We finally got our orders!  Tokyo!  We were kind of in shock when we saw where they were assigning us.  Apparently, they assigned us way back in mid-November but didn't bother to tell us until January 27th.  Why did they make us wait so long?!  

My thoughts a move to Tokyo are complicated and mixed.  When we knew that Tokyo was an option to put down, we hung up a big piece of butcher paper and put pros and cons down for an overseas assignment compared to staying in the states.  We asked the kids to take the week to add to the list as well so we could see what they were thinking and hoping for.  It was a pretty full, big list on both the pros and cons side.  Around the same time, we got a call from the Academy, asking if we wanted a position there.  We decided that we would put England, Germany, and Tokyo down as first choices but if the Colorado Springs position came to fuition, that is what we would choose (it is a job that Mike prefers and would provide stability for a potential of 6 years).  The Academy job fell though and as the months went on, we just assumed we wouldn't get the overseas assignment (there were about 14 or 15 people asking for it).  

We were really surprised (pleased, scared, excited) when we found out they want to send us to Tokyo.  I have had all kinds of conflicting feelings about this move, to be honest.  The pros are still pros and the cons are still cons.  There are big things about going overseas that worry me.  Aside from the fact that Tokyo is the largest city in the world, this is a big change for us.  Ultimately, we felt like this was an experience we wanted our children to have, regardless of the difficulties ahead.  I still feel worried and scared for a move like this.  

All that said, we may still not be able to go.  I have my endocrinologist appointment this week and I guess it all depends on whether or not she decides my thyroid needs to come out.  I kind of hate that the only way I can go is if my thyroid comes out, but since it seems to be going in that direction, I just hope that she says we can do it soon and get the ball rolling so we can start to really consider how to do this move. 













  

Comments

Popular Posts