A baptism during a pandemic

 Piper's baptism was a quiet, simple affair.  We were only allowed to have 10 people total (and they only wanted those ten from no more than two families).  Our family and the bishop made 8 so it was kind of weird but also cool.  We chose not to broadcast it on zoom and just keep it focused on Piper and the ordinance.  She was so excited and a little scared.  She held tightly to my arm and to Mike's when he helped her into the font.  It was my first time to help one of our kids get dressed and it made it feel kind of special for me.  Will gave the talk on baptism and I gave the talk on the Holy Ghost.  The other two boys gave the prayers and the boys each played a hymn while Piper got dressed after her baptism.  It was sweet when I asked her how she felt when it was just the two of us in the bathroom.  She said she felt really happy and peaceful and then then added, "I just hope Eli doesn't do anything mean to me so I can stay clean and perfect."  On the way home he was bothering her and I couldn't help but think about my own baptism, where my brother teased me after my baptism and I yelled at him and then he laughed at me and taunted, "You aren't perfect anymore!"  Brothers.  

When we got home she was met with her friend Aubrey and Aubrey's mom, who had baked and decorated a cake for Piper's special day.  She was so excited and I really appreciated this very sweet gesture.  Our friend Kris came over and we had refreshments and then at 4, a few girls from her Activity Days group at church drove by and she handed out a sucker to the girls who came to wish her congratulations.  

She got some new scriptures from Grandma and Grandpa Richards, a embroidered towel from Kris, and a necklace from me and Mike.  She seemed perfectly happy with her day.  

As a side note, her baptism almost got delayed because the Sunday before she woke up stuffy and had a slight fever (she always gets a fever when she first gets a cold, ever since a baby).  We had her tested for Covid and the test came back inconclusive.  By the time her test came back her contagious period was almost over but the rest of us were going to have to quarantine for two weeks and I just had no time or patience for that, considering I was pretty sure it was just a minor cold and her baptism was coming up.  We had her retested and it came back negative.  Therefore, her baptism was able to move forward.  















Comments

Popular Posts