Sleep eludes me

I have not been sleeping well lately. When talking to Mike about it yesterday he asked me what was different now than when I was sleeping well. The only thing we could come up with is that I haven't been blogging. In fact, I've only blogged twice this month, which for me is pretty rare. So, here I am blogging with the hopes that I can sleep well tonight.

There are a few things that have been on my mind lately and here are three:

30 fondant flowers. These babies have taken me a long time to finish. It is a four step process and each step has to dry so it's taken me two weeks. I'm pretty tired of fondant at this point but I have gotten better with each flower, in my UNprofessional opinion. Why did I make all these flowers? Wait until tomorrow (or a few days) and see.

This is probably the real reason that I have not been sleeping. I have to take all these pills every night and it requires a lot of water to take them all. Therefore, I am making a few trips to the bathroom each night. Do you ever have that problem where you are sleeping but not very well only to wake up and realize that you've had to go to the bathroom for hours? I hate that. Two of these pills will be eliminated from my nightly ritual starting in March. I am going to be officially off of my seizure medication at which point we will wait and see if I start having seizures again. Lets hope I don't or I won't be able to drive for six months.

And finally, this puzzle....I was so consumed with this puzzle that when I closed my eyes my mind would see puzzle pieces and I would imagine putting the pieces together. I hated this puzzle actually (maybe not hated, that's a strong word. I did say, "Curse this puzzle!" a few times though). It is done finally. It took us 20 hours 12 minutes. We are looking forward to everyone else finishing and posting their pictures and times. Since we finished, I took my puzzle over to the Woods so now they are back in the game and we also have another player--the Ormes. This is so fun! I'm so glad everyone is doing this. Perhaps our best idea ever. Oh, and the loser gets to choose the next puzzle.
Wait....maybe it's all the puzzle's fault that I haven't been sleeping! Anyone else having problems sleeping?

Comments

Michelle said…
Some nights I have trouble sleeping and get up several times for the bathroom, and some nights I sleep like a rock without 1 bathroom trip and I only wake up to the alarm and don't even remember falling asleep. By the way we finally finished our puzzle too, that thing sure was stressful at the end, it's all I thought about. I've heard before that it's good to keep a food/medicine journal and definately write down everything you have within 2 hours of bedtime, then record how your night was. See which nights you sleep well and see if it has anything to do with your eating. I find that if I eat sugar at night that I have to go to the bathroom more. Weird. But I never claimed to be normal.
Jess and Jen said…
I love the flowers...they look real. I saw puzzle pieces when I closed my eyes to fall asleep at night too. I hope you sleep well tonight! -Jen
Rose said…
Nice blog with awesome picture of roses. Like your family. Header image of your blog looks cool :)
The Duke said…
I have begun to dread going to sleep at night. I have restless leg syndrome and get night leg cramps almost every night. I have to wear flannel pajama bottoms, wear socks and some nights even wrap my legs in a heating pad to keep the cramps at bay. I am usually up several times a night trying to get the cramps out and then fall exhausted back to sleep. I'm always tired.
Anybody know a cure for that?
I love the flowers. I can't wait to see the finished product.
I watched Ace of Cakes last night and Amazing Wedding Cakes between midnight and 2 a.m. I am fascinated by their art. You are becoming one of those artists!! Yeah!
Pitcher Family said…
Your flowers are amazing! You are so talented! I'm glad the puzzle is done too! I found that I sleep best when I have exercised that day... not that I have been doing so lately, but it helps.
Marcy said…
Those flowers are really, really awesome! I was wondering if you have to take those pills at night? Can you take them in the morning (sorry, this is probably a really dumb question and maybe you have to take that many both morning and night)? I hope you start sleeping better....
Jenn said…
I LOVE the flowers! Amazing!!! I too have nights I can't sleep well...it is usually the nights before I am going to the gym early in the morning. I'm sooooo excited to go that I'm afraid of sleeping through the alarm so I wake up often and stay awake.

Hope we can all get more sleep!!
Michelle, the food journal is a good idea...I've been trying to count my calories and write everything down but I haven't been very good at it the past week so maybe that is the problem.

Post your picture and your time!

Jen, Isn't it so funny when something takes up so much of your time that you think about it when your eyes are closed?

Rose, thanks.

Mom, I'm sorry about the leg thing. I really think you should talk to a doctor about it.

Mandy, I felt like I was sleeping better as I started losing weight and exercising each night. I'm sorry that Jacob ruined your puzzle. I hated breaking the puzzle to put it in the box. It took so long that I just hated breaking it up.

Marcy, I doubt I'd be good enough to make your cake for your wedding, though I would if I lived closer and had more practice.

I do take half of the folic acid in the morning because it is just too much for me all at once. When that bottle is empty I will look for a higher dosage so I don't have to take so many at once. I have found that I remember much better to take everything if I do it at night along with all the other bedtime routine stuff.

Jen, I always hate when I want to sleep well but can't because I'm anticipating something early in the morning. I'm glad you can still get some exercise. If you ever need a break from the kids, I'm happy to watch them any time.
Michelle said…
Thinking about your post, I realized that the days I do a high powered cardio class like Step aerobics, or a boot camp like class or even run that I will sleep better. Exercise is really the key to so many things. Lowering the blood pressure, getting rid of asthma (it did mine), loosing weight, feeling better about yourself, happier moods, and so much more. I'm very much like the Military Mama post person, when I have an early morning class that I am in charge of teaching, I almost always have a night that I wake up an hour before the alarm or don't sleep well at all since my body is worried about sleeping through the alarm. My mother has restless leg syndrome and cramps up sometimes,and she finds that eating a banana or taking a pill with potassium helps her tremendously because she has less cramps. I get cramps from time to time in my toes or calves and I go eat half a banana and those cramps go away. Taking a multi vitamin daily helps a lot of things, so if you aren't taking a multi vitamin designed for you then you should because it helps you get the nutrients you need for your age. I take a pill called "One a Day Maximum" It's a multivitamin for women who do extreme exercise. There's many different types and labels should be read carefully.

And about that puzzle. Jason was keeping track of our time and then forgot how long it had been and quit keeping track. It's well over 7 hours. So we are thinking of crumbling it up and starting over. Oh the stress I'll have then, dangit.
Frances said…
I also had trouble sleeping while working on this puzzle. I would close my eyes and see the pieces. After your comment, I told Brook to go back and double check our time log to make sure everything was accurate and that he doubled the time when we were both working together. He put in it a spread sheet and he was off by 11 minutes. So instead of 10:58, it was 11:09. Glad I checked!!

Popular Posts