What I needed to hear

I had an experience this week that reminded me of the importance of sharing when you have felt the Spirit. This experience was just for me and will always be treasured. I was reminded that Heavenly Father knows me personally. I was also reminded of another time I felt the Spirit speak to me.

Music has always been a huge part of my life. From the time I was little I remember sitting around the piano with my parents and siblings singing songs together. We often sang as a family at church. I devoted my energy to developing my talent in singing while in high school rather than band or art.

Music has soothed my soul almost more than anything else, perhaps only second to prayer…well, and scripture study, so maybe third.

I tried out for Women’s Chorus on a whim; my other roommates were trying out and we decided to try out together. I was lucky enough to make it. I fully admit that Women’s Chorus is no Concert Choir or BYU Singers but still, it was an honor to be accepted.

Occasionally the choir’s at BYU combined for a concert. One concert in particular stands out in my mind. Each choir was assigned to sing one or two songs on their own and then we sang a few songs together. The Women’s Chorus had already practiced their songs and we were sent to the balcony to wait to practice one of the final songs (we were one of the lessor choirs and therefore, not the star of the show and banished to the balcony).

I was feeling particularly overwhelmed that day. My mind was heavy with concerns about grades and finances and boys. I worked all the hours I was allowed at BYU while taking a full schedule and the day had been long and hard. I sat in the balcony tired, dreading doing homework, yet ready to be home.

It was while in this state of mind that the wildly popular BYU Men’s Chorus walked onto the stage to practice their numbers. I always enjoyed listening to the Men’s Chorus but this time my mind was clouded and I was not paying attention to them or all the chattering girls around me in the balcony.

Their singing was quiet and the chatter around me was loud and my thoughts just as loud so I found it difficult to listen. However, their singing got louder and louder until I could not focus on anything else. I cannot remember the name of the song they sung or any of the words except one part where they sang at the top of their lungs, “Oh how I love my Savior! Oh how I love my Savior! Oh how I love my Savior, because he first loved me!”

At that moment I was struck. My body surged with feeling. I felt my being shaken. The music spoke so strongly to me. My Savior loved me! He loved me long before I loved Him. I could rejoice because of His everlasting love and sacrifice he made for me.

I looked around me, looking to see if anyone else heard what I heard, if anyone else was moved the way I had been moved. But the chattering continued as did the singing as if nothing was different about the world. Yet, the world was different for me. Things were brighter and my heart was lighter. The Spirit had communicated to my mind and heart words the secret chambers of my heart needed to hear. My Savior loved me.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
There are so many times where music does that better than anything else, doesn't it? -Jess
Lilola said…
Thank you for sharing that. Music speaks more easily to me than almost anything else.
Marcy said…
Me too! Me too! I remember hearing that song from the sidelines at one of those combined concerts. Those words spoke to me loudly too. Maybe it was the very same concert. That will always be my favorite Men's Chorus song.

Popular Posts