The Chicago Way

Mike was in charge of our ward Hymns and Harvest Social which was also moonlighting as a Chili/Dessert Cook-off.

I really didn't want to bring anything because the first chili cook-off I went to was in our Oklahoma ward. It was our first chili cook-off ever and I had just learned how to make this amazing Creamy White Chili from my friend Marcy. I am not a huge fan of Chili but when I discovered this recipe my eyes were opened. I decided to bring my chili, knowing that it is very different from normal chili recipes. We were about five minutes late and I came to put my chili on the table and one of the sweet ladies in charge said, "Oh, I'm not sure we have anymore room for that." Seriously? We made room and went on to enjoy the rest of the activity but when we went to get food, another well-meaning lady said, "What is this? This isn't Chili." Nice welcoming to our new ward. Those Oklahomans.... :)

So, I was not going to bring Chili to this ward Chili Cook-off. I decided to just bring Mike's favorite cookies. It took me about five minutes to put together.

This time I went armed with my cookies.

When they announce the winners, I wasn't paying attention to what was going on. I heard, "The winner of the dessert cook-off is number 6." No answer. "Uh, number 6. I think it was called Seven Layer Cookies or something."

Sweet mother.

How the crap did cookies win the contest?

I'll tell you how...

Little does anyone know, I slipped some nice, crisp dollar bills under the table to Elder Tanner as a last favor before he goes home on Thursday.

I was redeemed.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Bribin' the clergy. Nice.
And I thought that was just in Ohio politics.
The Duke said…
We will have to try those winning cookies! Laughed my head off.
Marcy said…
I'm deeply offended by those Oklahoma people...

:)

The cookies sound really good!

Popular Posts