Grandma and Grandpa Richards


Spending time with Grandma and Grandpa Richards at the Boonshoft Science Museum




Friday I celebrate my anniversary. When we were getting ready to pray the other night I told Mike this was the important year of our marriage. Then I asked him, "Haven't you heard of the 7-year itch?" Blank stare. This is our sixth year, not our seventh. But that seventh year, it will get you. So, we have to make the best of this coming year. More on our anniversary later. You will, I'm sure, get the obligatory post professing my undying love for my husband. Isn't that the expected thing to do on an anniversary?

I am, however, celebrating another six-year anniversary. Friday will be the anniversary of sealing myself to another family, for eternity. And what a family it is. I have never understood the stereotype of the mother-in-law from you-know-where. I know they exist. I also know there are daughters-in-law from you-know-where. My in-law experience is just very different from that.

Mike's family is not like mine. They are very low-key. We more than double them in numbers. Mike's dad has never been without a job for long periods of time, or any time for that matter. They are a lot more formal and not as involved in each others lives. Sometimes, because of our differences, I don't always feel as comfortable as I would like to (it has only been six years) but I always feel accepted and loved.

I always feel blessed to have my in-laws visit. We wait in anticipation for them to walk in our door. This time was different than the other visits from Mike's parents because this was the first visit from them when I wasn't pregnant or a hormonal mess from a newborn. I felt free to be me, running my home, and being involved. It was a very enjoyable visit. I loved it, actually. We all did. I enjoyed seeing the love Mike has for his mom when he kisses her goodnight (grown men kiss their mothers?) and the respect he has for his dad.

Mike's parents are always good about showering us with gifts. The boys love their new toys and I love my beautiful flowers. More than the gifts, we love and appreciate the attention they shower on us. I caught my father-in-law shaking our rugs out in the yard in preparation for our party on Saturday. My mother-in-law was on her hands and knees scrubbing my floor (I did clean before they came, it just got dirty again). Making dinner was a breeze with the extra hands and dishes seemed to be done before I even had a chance to put them in the sink.

The boys did not say to me before their grandparents arrived, "I wonder what toys grandma and grandpa will bring us." Rather, they said, "I just know they will love the pictures we drew." The boys were excited to show off at their swimming lessons (even if all Isaac showed off was his ability to hold on tightly to the side!) and they were happy for sodas Grandpa always has which allowed for many opportunities to beg for sips.

Now they are gone, on their way to North Dakota to shower another set of grandchildren with their gifts, love, and attention. Families don't end; they are eternal. I for one, am grateful for that knowledge and grateful to be included in another eternal family.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Looks like Mike's mom had some ... uh ... problems at the museum. Should you really be taking her out in public? -Jess
Pitcher Family said…
What a sweet post about families. I almost cried!! We are so glad to have you in our family!! Mike is so lucky to have you! We are loving having Gpa and Gma here, too!!
Jess and Jason said…
Um, very nice post, but did mom wet her pants! You should have told her!!
Your poor mom! I hope she isn't embarrassed by the picture of her all wet and of her bum. She actually was wet because she was the only grown-up playing with the boys in the water. Such a nice Grandma.

Popular Posts