Going back home

In a week I'm flying home to The Great Salt Lake. I lived there for 11 years and I think I will always consider it home. When we flew to Utah two years ago as a family both Mike and I had looked out the window as we flew over the mountains and over Provo and felt we were home. Even then, Utah isn't my home anymore. Provo has changed, my family lives in a house I never belonged to, most of my friends have moved and those that are still there have different lives and and friends. It's always a little weird to be there.

I have not been back to campus for four years (maybe we went back two years ago but I don't think so). Every time I go to my parents house in Elk Ridge I try to go for a walk or run at the park. When we were there as a family Mike and I went for a walk and it was 8 PM, the air was crisp, dry, and cool. We couldn't help but laugh that we would be at home walking with the boys in Oklahoma at the same time enjoying muggy, sticky, hot 90 degree weather at 8 PM. It was a nice change.

I love Utah. My family is there. I received my degree from BYU. I made a lot of my closest friendships there while in high school and college. I met my love in my BYU ward. I went through the temple to receive my endowments in the Provo temple and will always have a special place in my heart for that temple. I got married in the Salt Lake temple, where I fainted on the alter and we both threw up our guts the night before and the day of our wedding. I had my first baby in Provo. A large portion of the good things that have happened in my life occured while living in Utah.

Well, I am returning for a very short trip. My little sister is getting married. It will be the first time in 6 years we have all been together.

Five spouses and a few grand kids (8?) will be missing but the immediate family will all be there. Six years ago we took a family picture. Lance was going on his mission. We had another family picture taken last year at my brother David's wedding but a sister was missing.

Now, for another wedding we will all be there.

A lot has changed in six years since the last time we were all together.
5 weddings
11 babies born
213 birthdays
A few pounds have been gained and a few pounds have been lost
5 siblings have moved 7 times (not counting missions and marriages)
Siblings are coming from Ohio, Florida, South Carolina, Iowa, and Pennsylvania
(Jess is totally sitting at him computer today running my numbers to see if they are right)

I'm excited to go home. My boys and Mike are staying behind in Ohio while I attend the wedding. I am sad they won't be there but also a little relieved that I can go and just enjoy my family and not have to worry about anything else.

*totally unrelated to this post: I am updating my other blog finally. I decided I don't want the activities I do with the boys on this blog so I'll post some stuff over there again.

Comments

Jess and Jen said…
Actually, I was reading through your numbers and thinking, "Wow, she did some math. Glad it was her!" -Jess
The Duke said…
I cannot wait despite holes in ceilings and disasters in the house - it's better than mice running around, smelly drinking water, smelly yard, and there's enough room to run around unlike some of the places you have found us in.... :)
I'm so excited to have everybody together!
Mom
Cali said…
I'd love to see you if you have a minute...when do you arrive?
Marcy said…
Amen to Cali. I think I'll be able to make the reception and you'll be there, right?
Jason said…
I laughed at your comment about Jess. You have got him pegged. I, too, am impressed at your math. I don't know that I have the patience to have figured that all out.
Marcy said…
So, I might be bringing a certain guy to the reception.... ;)

Popular Posts