A bad day 14 years ago

The boys ask for "Dinosaur spikes" every Sunday. Here is Will sporting our best attempt.

Add this to the other bad pictures of Isaac. He is impossible to get a good picture of. This is him smiling for the camera. Funny face or not, he looked really handsome on Sunday.

Mr. Eli has such beautiful flowing hair. He'll probably hate me one day for letting his hair get this long. I'll cut it in a month.

The pictures have nothing to do with the post but I thought we were having a lack of pictures lately.

The real reason I am posting is because I found something really funny that I wrote when I was 14. I have always been a journal writer. Mike has not. In fact, his first entry after we got married was after we had Will. He wrote, "For more details refer to my other plates, also known as the plates of Adrianne." The other day he was looking for something to write on and pulled out the first book he found in the bookcase. It happened to be one of my journals. This journal was written over the course of three years. I started writing when I was 12 and my first journal took a long time to fill. We opened it up and laughed and laughed. So funny. Girls are so dramatic and silly.

One particular entry was pretty funny to me. The background is that Jess was the oldest at home and I was the oldest girl at home. Dad was working at the explosive plant. Mom was not quite pregnant with Ammon. Adam was on his mission and Chelsey was at college. Jason and Michelle were married and Michelle was pregnant with Caleb. Caleb came five weeks early so Mom took off to Idaho to help out. The next day was Lance's birthday.

This is how the first day with Mom gone went:

March 14, 1995

Today was the worse day of my life! First, mom left to Idaho. Jess came 30 minutes late to pick us up at school. We took dad to work and come back. Jess took Lance to get new shoes while I did my homework. They came back and Jess and I went to the grocery store. Then I came back and made dinner. After dinner I had to make cupcakes for Lance to take to school tomorrow. I found out we didn't have enough cups so Jess went to 3 stores looking for them. He couldn't find them so we freaked. Then we found some tiny ones and decided to give the kids the two tiny ones to make up for one. Then David got mad when I beat him in basketball and ran away. He came back later but he never did the bathrooms--his job. I came inside and had to make carrot sticks. To my horror, Kaitlin and Gillian had stuck their fingers in some of the cupcakes. They looked awful. I tried to fix them the best I could. Poor Lance. I hope they're ok. I need to wake up early tomorrow so I better go to bed.

Love, Adrianne (HELP!) P.S. I'm in Helaman 16

Wow. That was a bad day! I wish all my bad days were like that. I wonder if when I'm 80 (if I can still see) I'll look back at my journal entries today and laugh at how dramatic and funny I am. Hopefully I'll be a bit more wise. I'm sure I'll laugh at the entries I currently write when I have bad days and see in retrospect how silly my concerns are in the big scheme of things? I'm sure I will.

Comments

Papa Doc said…
I write a daily journal, too. I have done it for years, but I have missed some periods. I love to do it, and think that someday it might be fun for Chris or you kids to read after I am gone.

I love your entry. It makes the Spanish Fork experience come alive again. Thank you for everything.

Does Mike realize just who he married. Does he know how wonderful you are?

Dad Clark
Jess and Jen said…
I don't remember anything about what you've written. Perhaps Spanish Fork is just a faded memory for me? I knew I shouldn't have smoking that weed in the north parking lot between classes...
Michelle said…
Adrianne, just to clarify a couple things, Caleb was almost 2 years old. Daniel was the one I was pregnant with and he came 6 weeks early. Your mom was pregnant with Ammon.
Cali said…
I think that you had to deal with a lot that day--making cupcakes totally stresses me out!

You are so wonderful. But, it really would be nice to have the stresses of yesterday be the only stresses of today!
Michelle, that's pretty funny. You can't place too much blame on a 14 year old for getting some of the information wrong. I tried to remember if mom was pregnant or not but thought Caleb was a lot older than Ammon but I had written about Daniel being born later in my journal. I was clearly confused as a 14 year old. Aside from having your children wrong and being one week off on the birth, everything else was accurate in my entry. Don't hold it against me. I still love you and your children!
Rachel said…
That's funny. Cute boys - love their sweaters.
Amy E said…
How funny to look back at that! Thanks for sharing...everything stresses a teenager out, huh? Haha. If only you had known what was to come. :)
The pictures of the boys are adorable...even Isaac's silly face. I really love their dinosaur spikes and sweaters too. They're adorable. You're awesome-love ya!
Michelle said…
Adrianne, just wanted to let you know so you could update your journal, I didn't mind and I won't hold it against you, that would be silly
Team Clark said…
Adrianne - that's great. And might I add that we had COMPLETELY different growing up experiences. I was the baby at home and when I was in high school I think I only had one other brother at home with me. Such different experiences!
Experiences like the one you wrote about probably add up to who you are today. And your dad is right - you ARE wonderful!
Jess and Jason said…
I love that! I always look back at my journals and hope that no one else ever reads them!

Popular Posts