I finally got home from Utah and remember that I need to get out of the dark ages

1. I got to the airport and the parking lots were all full so I had to find a parking lot about a mile away and catch a shuttle. When I got ready to go past security I noticed I didn't have my keys! I went to the ticket desk to see if I had left it there but they hadn't seen them. I realized I had either left them still in the trunk, on the shuttle, or locked in the car! I needed Mike to bring an extra pair of keys. I was able to call him once I got to Utah but had to borrow my brother's cell to call him. Which brings me to number 2.

2. My brother and his wife were so nice to let me use their cell phone. I'm sure they don't really care but I think it would get annoying, "Can I use your cell phone?" "Do you mind if I call Mike?" "Is your cell phone free?" You get my point.

3. Mike couldn't find the car when he went to drop off the extra set of keys. He had to call my parents to find me and ask where the car was. Luckily I was at their house but imagine if I had a cell phone?

4. This one has nothing to do with a cell phone but it was annoying. The handle on my luggage broke off just before I checked in my luggage. I couldn't roll it anymore so I had to carry the stinkin' thing while holding the baby. I now have bruises on my legs from the suitcase bumping into my legs a thousand times. 46 lbs is a lot to carry when you have a baby strapped to you. Wouldn't it have been nice if I had a cell phone to complain to Mike about it?

5. I got back to Oklahoma and caught the shuttle back to my car. Mike had left the car unlocked and the keys in the glove box. It was 10:00 PM when I got back so I was so relieved to get in the car and go home...except the car wouldn't start. Awesome. It was dark, it was cold, the baby was tired because he hadn't slept since 10:00 AM and my car wouldn't start. I had to get the baby back out of the car and go to the parking lot office and ask to use a phone. She kindly offered to call someone to come jump start my car. I wouldn't felt a lot safer if I had a cell phone to call Mike and tell him I was stranded in a dark, cold parking lot.

6. Also has nothing to do with a cell phone but when I was about two minutes to the house I got stopped by a train that was completely stopped on the tracks. I turned around and found a round about way home. I finally got home at 11:00 PM. It would've been nice to have a cell phone to tell Mike I wasn't dead, just held up by a train.

I NEED A CELL PHONE!

Comments

Jess and Jason said…
You do need a cell phone. They don't have to be that expensive and they sure do come in handy!

But don't let anyone know that you have one because they may ask to borrow it and wouldn't that be annoying?
Jess and Jen said…
Yeah, I think the convenience and peace of mind (in a dark parking lot with a non-starting car!) the cell phone provides heavily outweigh the 12 extra days of retirement you'd get by not having the expense and saving it in your 401k.

By the way, we had no problem with you using our cell phone. Just remind Mike that because someone had a cell phone with free long distance, you were able to call him and remind him just how much you loved him! -Jess
Carolina said…
Yes, you do.

I smell a good Christmas present.
Just for you all to consider...If you are paying $50/month for your cell phone (and I imagine most are paying more), and you are me (age 27, retiring at 60, and expecting a paltry 9% annualized rate of return), you are giving up $107,880.20 in retirement savings for that cell phone...is it worth it to you still? :)

Mike

PS I tried to convince me and Adrianne to get one this past summer only to find out that Verizon won't give us an account in OKC...oh well.
Papa Doc said…
Funny -- I'll make sure Jim reads this one. We are dinosaurs - one half of us, at least. I have to admit that I was glad that I had the use of a cell phone while Ammon was in the hospital - that was the only way I had of communicating to everyone. But I also have to say that there came a time when I was so annoyed with certain people calling me all the time to whine (work related) that I refused to answer the dumb thing. If I hadn't had the phone, I would never have known and would never have been annoyed. It's a toss-up.
Glad you got home safe and sound.
Mom
Carolina said…
Having a cell phone saved my life once. Worth $107 K? Absolutely.

Also, imagine the gasoline savings from not leaving to pick someone up until you know the person is ready to be picked up, being able to call a friend to get directions rather than wandering around, being able to call a store to see if something is in stock (because you just found out your regular grocery store doesn't have it anymore) rather than going home to use the phone . . . .
Zach and Nikki said…
Cell phones are soooooo nice. Zach doesn't have one so we end up sharing mine -now ours. It works out okay most of the time because usually just one of us might be in a situation where we can't get to a phone. But, there are often enough times where it would be really nice if he had one too- it would make meetings at random places so much easier.
He's quite a bit like Mike, it appears, he just refuses to get one yet.
We ONLY have cell phones- no house phone. For about 3 years now. We pay $90 a month for both of our phones (that's the entire bill, not each) We have unlimited minutes to each other, and 1400 other minutes...and free nights and weekends, and the $90 a month includes text messaging and "web access" which we don't need, but we often send each other pics of the kids and when Mike is out of town I send him little videos. For us, the constant connection is worth every penny.

Popular Posts