No surprises here!

My mom always laughs at us everytime there is a holiday that requires giving a gift to each other. I try to keep secrets but Mike always guesses them and Mike gets way too excited to wait to let me be surprised. This past Christmas was good--we both surprised each other and my birthday was good too because I had no idea what he was getting. Anyway, I took the boys to Walmart yesterday and rememberd that Mike needs and wants a new sports watch (he goes running twice a week and then has physical training at work twice a week). His current watch has velcro and won't stay velcroed any longer and, it smells from all the sweat. So I found this really cool watch and hid it in the closet.

Before I go any further I have to explain another gift gone awry. It was our first Christmas together and I wanted to surprise Mike with a watch. I wrapped it up and put it under the tree. One night we were in the living room and all the sudden there was this beeping. We were both confused and couldn't figure out where the beeping was coming from. Then I remembered--the watch was under the tree! Mike figured out pretty quickly what that gift was.

Ok, so you now you probably know where this story is going. Last night the boys were all in bed and it was so quiet and we were talking in our room when there was this beeping. Just like before we were both really confused. In jest I said, "What is that beeing from? Do we have a bomb in our house?" Then it dawned on me and I said, "Oh crap!" and burst out laughing. Mike had figured it out at the same time. So, now I have to figure out something else to get him. Mike asked me, "How many times in our marriage do you think that will happen?" I said, "Probably every time you need a new watch." So there you go mom, this story was for you.

Comments

Pitcher Family said…
That's so funny! I think it's nice that you keep trying to surprise him. It can be hard to be sneaky!
Jess and Jen said…
That is so hilarious! If you ever buy him another watch you'll have to hide it at a neighbor's house!

Jen
Papa Doc said…
Will you never learn?! I'm laughing my head off. Watches make noise - I guess. I would never have thought about this unless you had explained it. Jim may have had a watch in hiding and I would never have guessed what the problem is. Now I know that I won't keep one hidden from him for Father's Day.
So surprise him with something else. I'm truly laughing. Funny, funny story.
Mom
Jess and Jason said…
That is pretty amusing. Next time you should be sure that the alarms are all off before you hide it!
Steff said…
Do they go around the store setting the alarms on all the watches to be funny? I guess it worked because that is pretty funny. Nice try to surprise him, though. It's the thought that counts, right?
Lisa said…
That is so great!
Dad and Mom said…
It must be a family thing.........One of the men working at our house left a clamp and Steve used it over and over again until he returned and took it with him. Being the observant wife that I am I bought two of these clamps (different sizes) for Steve's Father's Day gift. I'm good, this year I bought him something that he didn't even ask for!!! Well, the day after I bought them he is working on something that he must have that clamp for, right now. Of course, I went and got them for him. So much for the surprise!

Popular Posts