The Good

Today I wanted to do a two part post. I only had time to write one part this morning so I thought I'd finish while the boys eat their lunch.

The first post was about the realities of being a new mother. Any mom that says it is easy being a new mom is lying. I want to be real on this blog and therefore, document some of the challenges of late. But I also wanted to document the other side of being a new mom. No matter how insightful or funny a post may be, I get tired of reading really long posts, as I'm sure everyone else does too, so I thought I'd break them into two posts.

No two experiences are the same. Some of the variables may be the same but the experiences themselves are different. Having a new baby really brings that to my attention. The main difference for me is that having a baby opens your eyes to who you really are as a mother and as a person. I think for me having a baby is the one experience that brings me closer to my Heavenly Father. The day I married Mike was an amazingly spiritual experience (aside from being sick) but not even that compares to having a baby. When we got married we were so excited to be a family and start this journey together. When we had our first baby, our marriage meant so much more. We had gone from being a husband and wife to being joint partners with God in creating a life. Eternity meant something more to me. That is a beautiful feeling.

When we have a new baby join our home it is a family affair. Aside from feeding Eli, there isn't anything that is just my responsibility. Mike is an equal partner with me in caring for our home and our children. He cleans, changes diapers, cooks meals, does the laundry, wakes up with the boys so I can sleep, and relieves me on the nights the baby doesn't go back to sleep. This is why I love him and seeing his willingness to serve us all makes me feel closer to him and thankful to be his partner.

Life slows down when you have a baby. You realize that the only essential things you have to worry about are feeding and dressing your children, giving them attention, reading your scriptures, praying, and washing dishes (or at least buying paper plates). Everything else seems less important.

I have a feeling of gratitude for my body that it is able to bring a baby into the world. I am more able to recognize the gift my children are to me. I see I am not alone, that family prays for us and others have similar experiences. I also recognize that I can't survive this time without my Heavenly Father.

Comments

Jason said…
I read your first post from this morning with conflicting feelings. My first (natural man) response was, "Good, now you understand what my life has been like for the last 15 years." My second response, which followed quickly on the heels of the first was more brotherly (as it should have been to begin with). I feel for you. I understand how you feel - at least to a degree. I wish we lived closer so that we could lend a hand. Now that our children are a little older, it is much easier to sit through Sacrament meeting. I felt your second post of the day was almost an answer to your first. You focused perfectly on the positive aspects of your prediciment. Mike and the boys are indeed the most important part of your life. How empty life would be without our families. Just remember that none of us can do it on our own. If we could, we wouldn't need the atonement. Rely on the Lord and continue leaning on him for strength. He loves you and will help you successfully overcome all obstacles. Please give your boys a hug for me.
Rachel said…
Thank heavens for good husbands! I agree with only worrying about the essentials of life. I still wake up and think, "What are my students doing now?" Then I pour me a bowl of cereal thinking my students have been at school for 3 hours. I shower when they are eating lunch. Although I'm not as productive in the secular sense as I used to, I'm ok only doing the essentials and letting the rest fall by the wayside.
Carolina said…
It's amazing how a husband's support and contribution can change everything. Isn't it hard to just slow down? I remember having a particularly rough day a few days after Alex was born. Kendall came home and asked me what I had done that day. I had nothing to say--I had not even showered. I had managed to make myself a sandwich for lunch--that's it. The rest of the time, I had held, fed, and changed Alex.
Zach and Nikki said…
I so love reading your blog because it's so real! One day I'll probably have three children and I'll think the same thing you mentioned- no one has ever died from being a mom, right?, then I'll think of your blog and take some courage. Thanks for being so honest!

Popular Posts