Adventures with three

So, my mother-in-law just drove away with Mike to catch her plane back to Maryland. They haven't even been gone for a half an hour and I'm already feeling withdrawls. Of course I am, wouldn't you if you were taken care of every second of the day for the last nine days and the only thing you had to worry about was feeding the baby endlessly? I think so. Mike and I really do feel like we have the two best mothers in the entire world.

On Sunday I woke up with four hours of sleep to the baby crying after having just ate an hour before and a little blonde head running into my room at 6:00 AM. He was put back in his room about three times until he woke up Will and then both boys were coming into the room. Being the nice mom that I am, I think I yelled something like,"Get your little butts out of this room!" Will started crying saying, "But I'm awake," to which I said, "Fine. Be awake in your own room." Mike turned to me and said, "Happy Mothers Day."

Church was pretty normal. I ended up sitting in a room with Isaac screaming on my lap for most of Sacrament. At one point my mother-in-law was in the hallway with the baby and I thought, "Good grief, my whole family is thowing fits today." Thankfully Will was being distracted by the Lolofie girls and Mike was convienently hidden from our view behind the pulpit. Is there some rule that says to be a good member you have to sit in the Sacrament room because I think from now on we are going to forgo the Sacrament room and sit in the Relief Society room by ourselves where my children can scream all they want.

I ended up covering for a teacher that didn't show up. We went around the table saying what our favorite things about our moms were. One little boy had nothing to say so I asked,"You don't like anything about your mom?" He said, "I like my mom, I don't like you." At that point I found myself thinking, "Hmmm, I don't want to be in Primary. I just want nothing else to be responsible for but myself, my children, and my husband." In retrospect, I did only have four hours of sleep and I really do like my calling.

When we got home I turned to my mother-in-law and asked, "How am I going to do this by myself next week?" She just laughed and said, "Let me see if I can find some positive words for you. Let me look in the Pearl of Great Price that is Carol. No, I have nothing. Sorry." OnMonday she sent Mike and I on a date and when we came home she said to me, "How are you going to do this by yourself?" So, I'm on my own for good now, Mike's back at work and Carol is back in Maryland in a matter of hours. I don't know anyone that has died yet from being a mom. Everything seems rather dramatic now but the days I've had on my own so far haven't been that bad. Anyway, I have a house to be cleaned, a baby to be fed, and two little boys that are dying for attention. So, I need to end this post.


Here are some pictures from the past week.

Comments

Marcy said…
Can I give another perspective? I think this post is great. It just describes mothering perfectly. I also like the "I like my mom; I don't like you." That's hilarious to me.

I can't write this on my blog right now, but imagine a Mother's Day where you wake up with no husband and no children. You have breakfast by yourself, sit by another family at church. You listen to other children sing "Love Is Spoken Here" to their mothers and fathers, and all you can do is sob. So, I don't think I'll ever complain about how hard it is going to church with children again. Maybe I will someday, but right now I can't imagine it.

Love you.
Jess and Jen said…
Adrianne, when we had our third kid, the difficulty level went up exponentially. But the kids are great and they are fun to be around (even when my wife leaves for 4 days and I'm in charge...)
Pitcher Family said…
I know you'll survive. It's not easy. I cry every time mom leaves me alone with the kids after a new baby, and then when Mike goes to work in the mornings. Then life goes on. I say forget the house and play with the kids, get sleep when you can. Don't forget to feed yourself! Most of the time I believe the good times outweigh the bad!
Jess and Jason said…
Going from two to three is the hardest of all, I think. Probably because we haven't yet done three to four.

I think there are multiple reasons for this. One: there are only two of you. Two: You only have two hands, and can therefore only have a hold of two of them at a time. Three: when you have three there are at least two others that are walking and talking, usually in the opposite direction of where you need them to be.

But when they get just a little bit older, it seems like you always had three and you are so happy that they are so close and happy.

Recently I told Ryan that I was going to leave him at the store because he wasn't listening. Austin got so upset and told me that he loved Ryan and didn't want to leave him. That Ryan was a part of our family and we needed him.

You can do it, it will get easier!
Lisa said…
After last Sunday, I decided that I am skipping church on Mother's Day next year, it was that bad. :) I appreciate your perspective in both of these blogs. I think you'll make it, and come out on top!

Popular Posts