You know how certain things bring back memories?


Last night we decided to order appetizers from Chili's. We usually get the sample tray where you can choose three of your favorites. We didn't have a babysitter so we just fed the boys something else and then when they went to bed we ordered and I went and picked it up. It totally brought back memories of our second date.


For our first date Mike took me to the Bombay House, a fabulous Indian restaurant on University Avenue in Provo. He ended up spending like $40. I was used to being taken out by cheap college boys so I was pretty surprised that he spent so much on dinner. And the truth is, that date was a nice date but didn't produce any feelings of love or tenderness. I don't think it even really produced any feelings of dating interest either, for that matter. But it was a nice date and I did go away thinking he was a very nice guy and that the food and conversation were great and hoping that I had made the night worth that $40 he plunked down at dinner. I am pretty sure I am not alone in my feelings of this first date. Unless Mike is just protecting his ego, I think he felt the same, nice date but no real sparks.


Our second date was a lot of fun, more relaxed, and more uncomfortable at the same time. Mike and his friend Kirk looked up all these random languages and wrote them on pieces of paper and when they picked my roommate and I up they made us choose one of the languages out of a bag. I got some weird language I'd never even heard the name of before and I think Mike got English. He has all the luck. Then they told us we had to call a specific restaurant and order and appetizer in that language. So we all did our little ordering and then we went and drove to each place to pick up our appetizer. I can't remember everywhere we got stuff but I think three of them were Outback, TGI Friday's, and Chili's. Then we went to Residence Inn where Kirk worked and got to use the breakfast room to ourselves and just ate and talked. It was fun.


The uncomfortable part, aside from having to order in some funky language, was that later in the night Mike found some weaselly way of putting his arms around me with the pretence of trying to reach something. Even though it was supposed to be all smooth and sneaky, I totally knew what he was trying to do. I was not very comfortable with physical affection with someone I wasn't dating and that was just so bold to me. But those Richards boys....

Comments

Marcy said…
I like hearing stories like this.
Jess and Jen said…
Hey Adrianne, when I go to your blog, it tells me there is questionable content and I have to click okay to actually get to your blog. What's going on? Did someone flag your blog for inappropriate content? -Jess
Jess, no to your question. Mike thought it would be funny for some reason. It annoys me to have click okay each time I get on. I'll make him take it off. He was waiting for someone to comment on it. Silly Mike.
Frances said…
That's funny. I love thinking back on those first days of dating.

I also noticed your blog is flagged for questionable content? I'm not sure why but a warning now comes up whenever I try to get on!?
You do get pretty saucey in your posts Adrianne!!!
I thought it was the scary looking frog. I'm glad I had the warning, or I might not have been prepared for that ugly thing starring me down...
Cali said…
I love to remember past times. Cute story. And, I like your new look.

I'm happy to see and hear that Ammon is doing well. I often wonder about your family and how they are all doing!
Rachel said…
It's funny how we end up marrying these boys despite rough first dates. Charlie asked me on our first date what I could contribute to a relationship. Whatever! I'm surprised that I went out with him again. (He still denies that he actually said that.)
Zach and Nikki said…
It was fun hearing about those days again. I have to say I had forgotten about what you guys did on your first dates. I have to agree with Rachel- those first dates can be rough- but for some reason we went back for more. On Zach and my first date- I was bored out of my gourd because he would hardly talk. I had to keep the conversation rolling- a hard thing for me and I discovered he likes listening to elevator music- I was sure the relationship would go nowhere.
Also, it's good to hear about Ammon.
Jess and Jason said…
I am laughing about Mike putting his arms around you...I think he has gone WAY beyond your comfort level now...your working on what number?!? Just kidding.

What a creative set of boys they were though.
Carolina said…
Ah, dating. Remember the VL card hanging in the bathroom (near the toilet) of our freshman apartment? It was the one incentive I had to use our own bathroom (instead of simply stepping outside to use the less-frequented visitor bathroom in the basement common area). You never knew who would still be on the VL card come Saturday morning after a round of Friday-night-dates.

Popular Posts